Making your own tahini at home is not only easy, it’s cost effective!
Buy hulled white sesame seeds in bulk at the store, and grind them yourself at home in a food processor in a matter of minutes.
The result is creamy, fresh tahini that’s a fraction of the cost of store-bought, and is ready to add to your favorite hummus, salad dressings, falafel, and more!
- 2 cups (288 g) hulled white sesame seeds
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) grapeseed or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C), and arrange sesame seeds on a bare baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until slightly golden brown (being careful not to burn).
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then add to a food processor and blend until smooth, adding 1-2 Tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil to encourage blending. The amount of oil you need will depend on the freshness of your sesame seeds and the power of your food processor.
- Scoop into a jar or sealed container and store in the refrigerator up to 3-4 weeks.
- Add tahini to your favorite hummus, salad dressings (pictured above), dips, sauces, falafel, and more!
Below are some recipes which use Tahini:
Tahini Stuffed Dates // Tahini Chocolate Soft Serve // Mustard Green Cherry Salad with Nut Cheese & Tahini Dressing // White Bean Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing // Kumquat Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing // Delicata Squash Bake with Tahini Dressing // Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl // Sweet Potato & Avocado Green Salad //