A few weeks ago I went to a friend’s bridal shower where we all pitched in to provide a handsome spread of food and drink. I was on wine and smoothie duty and my friend Lisa made the hummus.
I’ll be honest: I was expecting was another standard hummus that was good but didn’t taste as good as restaurant-style.
What I wasn’t expecting was to eat some of the best hummus of my life. For reals. Ready for this recipe? I’m SO excited to share it with you!
A few bites in when my mind finally wrapped around what my mouth was tasting, I turned to Lisa and asked how she made it.
Lisa: “Well, I started with a can of chickpeas and microwaved it with garlic…”
Me: “Wait, why microwave?”
Lisa: “Hey, I don’t know these things, this is just how it’s done.”
Me: “OK, KEEP GOING.”
She explained it was a recipe from her brother- and sister-in-law who were both amazing cooks and caterers on the side.
The concept is to cook the garlic cloves in with the chickpeas (liquid and all) so it gets SUPER creamy and takes on a extra garlicky flavor. It also seems to meld all of the flavors together a bit more to give it an ultra luxurious finish.
Microwave before and after. See the difference? It may seem subtle, but the flavor/texture pay off is MAJOR.
The other kicker? 1/2 cup tahini. HALF CUP. Just trust me. Best hummus ever.
Once your chickpeas and garlic are microwaved, add straight to a food processor or blender with your tahini, lemon juice, sea salt and a bit of olive oil. Then whirl until creamy and smooth and prepare yourself for the most insanely delicious hummus of yo life.
Though this hummus comes together in 5 minutes, it’s going to be hot! So, I recommend making it ahead of time and refrigerating it so it gets even more thick and the flavors can meld together.
I don’t know how a refrigerator can make this dip taste 13x better, but it just does. Trust me.
You guys are going to LOVE this hummus! It’s
& Absolutely perfect
Serve with pita bread and/or chips, veggies, or just a spoon. Seriously, I would just eat this with a spoon. Make this now!
Best Ever 5-Minute Microwave Hummus
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (NOT drained)
- 2-4 cloves garlic (depending on how garlicky you prefer it)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4-1 tsp sea salt (depending on how salty you prefer it)
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Microwave undrained chickpeas and whole garlic cloves in a mixing bowl for 4-5 minutes.
- Process until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed. Add more of the reserved chickpea liquid as needed for creamier texture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as you prefer. I found 3/4 tsp of salt to be the perfect amount (amount as original recipe is written // refer to the lower end of range if altering batch size).
- Garnish with a little more olive oil and paprika, and serve with veggies, crackers and pita. Leftovers keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or more. It tastes even better refrigerated, as it has time to thicken up and develop in flavor.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.