There is a magical salad in the city of Portland that can be found at Lardo. However, not all the time. You have to catch it in season. Or maybe sometimes the chef just doesn’t feel like it.
Why you gotta play with my heart like that, chef?
This salad is simple, requiring just 30 minutes and easy-to-master methods. For instance, do you know how to massage kale? No? Allow me to demonstrate. One hand in the bowl, squeeze away the day’s stress. It’s as easy as that.
And that dressing? Oh, you’re gonna want that. Tahini with lemon and orange juice, a touch of maple syrup and water to thin into a spectacular pourable sauce. This stuff is the icing on the kale cake, so to speak.
You guys are going to love this salad. It’s:
What more could you ask for? Serve this as a side salad to impress friends at your next BBQ. Can you imagine showing up and being all, “Hey Lindsay, hey Todd. My week was good. Oh, what’s this? It’s a kumquat kale salad with toasted breadcrumbs and a tahini dressing.” And then they’re all, “WHAAATTTT?” Instantly, you’re the cool kid at the party.
Alternatively, bulk this salad up with some protein to magically transform it into an entree (suggestions below)!
If you do give this recipe a try, let us know what you think! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s really helpful for us and other readers. And don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Kumquat Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 8-10 ounces curly kale (torn or chopped // large stems removed)
- 5-6 kumquats , (very thinly sliced)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (I ground mine from a wheat baguette - use GF if gluten-free)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 large lemon (juiced)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (or sub hemp seeds or poppy seeds)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 large lemon (juiced // 1/2 large yields ~1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp orange (or kumquat) juice
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 1 pinch salt
- Water or plain almond milk (to thin)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add half of the olive oil (1/2 Tbsp as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), breadcrumbs, a pinch each salt and pepper, and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Sauté until browned and crisp - about 5 minutes - stirring frequently (turn down heat if browning too quickly). Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, add kale to a large mixing bowl with lemon juice and remaining olive oil (1/2 Tbsp as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Use your hands to massage the kale and break down its texture a bit.
- To a separate mixing bowl add tahini, lemon juice, orange juice, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and whisk to combine. Add water or almond milk to thin until pourable, whisking to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed - set aside.
- To the kale add sliced kumquats (reserving a few for garnish), chia seeds and toasted bread crumbs (reserving half for topping). Add most of the dressing as well and toss to combine, reserving a bit for serving.
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a few days with the dressing and bread crumbs separate for best results.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.