Sometimes when I’m testing a recipe I want it to be one thing and it turns out to be another. Almost like it has a mind of its own.
Such was the case with this dressing, which was originally supposed to be cashew butter hummus. Sounds good (and weird), right? Well, it turned out to be more weird than good, and then after a series of adjustments it somehow morphed into this seriously delicious miso tahini dressing — and I’m not mad about it.
This is the perfect creamy dressing for kale salads, Asian-inspired dishes, bowl meals, and beyond. Let me show you how it’s done!
This 10-minute, 1-bowl dressing is easy to make, starting with fresh tahini. If you don’t have tahini, you can sub cashew butter for a similar effect!
Start by adding miso paste, fresh grated ginger, and garlic to create the base flavor.
Next add coconut aminos or tamari for saltiness, rice vinegar for acidity, maple syrup for a bit of sweetness, and sesame oil for a bit more creaminess, but mostly added flavor. Sesame oil adds such a rich, nutty flavor to this dressing, so I highly recommend adding it in!
You want dressings to be quite flavorful so they add plenty of life to your dish, so don’t be shy and always taste and adjust flavor as needed! I typically add more acidity (vinegar), saltiness (tamari), and sweetness (maple syrup) at this point.
After a quick mix, just add water until it’s creamy and you’re good to go!
We hope you LOVE this dressing! It’s:
Quick & easy to make
& Seriously delicious
This would make the perfect dressing for a quick, Asian-inspired salad, such as the one below. Simply massage kale with sesame oil and top with shredded carrot, cabbage, green onion, and crushed cashews or peanuts. It would also be lovely paired with a grain bowl (recipe coming soon!).
Check out a few of our other favorite easy dressings: 5-Minute Caesar Dressing, Oil-Free Vegan Ranch Dressing, How to Make Tahini Dressing, Tahini Green Curry Dressing, Rosemary Tahini Dressing, and Cashew-Chili Garlic Dressing.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Quick Ginger Garlic Miso Tahini Dressing
Creamy, rich tahini dressing infused with fresh ginger, garlic, and miso paste. Perfect for topping salads, bowls, and more. Just 10 minutes and 8 ingredients required!
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste — raw or roasted // or sub cashew butter)
- 1 heaping Tbsp freshly peeled grated ginger (or very finely minced)
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic (scrape minced garlic across the cutting board with a knife to make more of a paste for bolder flavor)
- 1 heaping tsp yellow or white miso paste (use chickpea miso for soy-free — we like Miso Master brand)
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (plus more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar*
- 1 tsp toasted or untoasted sesame oil (if oil-free, sub water — flavor will be affected)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 2-3 Tbsp water (plus more to taste)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- 3-4 cups chopped green kale (massage with a dash of sesame oil for softer texture)
- 1 cup grated / ribboned carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (or peanuts), roughly chopped
To a medium mixing bowl add tahini, fresh ginger, garlic, miso paste, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
Add water until a creamy, pourable sauce is achieved. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more vinegar for tanginess, maple syrup for sweetness, miso for strong miso flavor, garlic or ginger for zing, or salt or coconut aminos for saltiness.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5-7 days. Freezer friendly up to 1 month, though best when fresh.
*In place of rice vinegar you can sub apple cider or white vinegar or lime juice, but it will affect the flavor.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 12 two-Tablespoon servings)
- Calories: 50
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Sodium: 46mg
- Potassium: 39mg
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Protein: 1.3g