Being from the Midwest originally, we certainly have a special place in our hearts for ranch dressing. When we were growing up, it was a common dressing for salads and basically the only way we would eat vegetables.
If you take a look at the ingredients of ranch dressing at the store, you’ll notice lots of dairy, processed oils, and other not-so-fresh ingredients. Let’s fix that and make our own!
This 10-ingredient, 1-bowl recipe is made with items you likely already have on hand: cashews, lemon, spices, vinegar, and herbs.
It starts with soaked cashews for the ultimate creamy base. We tested hemp seeds but found their flavor a little overpowering. So good ol’ cashews it is!
While the cashews are soaking, you’ll make “vegan buttermilk” with almond milk and lemon juice. Then simply add everything to a blender with your spices and herbs and you’re golden! Enjoy right away or chill to thicken.
We hope you LOVE this ranch dressing! It’s:
& So delicious
This would make the perfect sauce for salads like our Loaded Kale Salad or for dipping fresh or roasted vegetables in! It would be especially tasty with spicy things like our Buffalo Chickpea Wrap, and Spicy Red Curry Cauliflower Wings!
Into easy sauces? Check out our 3-Ingredient Tahini Sauce, Garlic Herb Dressing, and Easy Vegan Pesto!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Easy Vegan Ranch Dressing (Oil-Free!)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water 30 minutes, or overnight in cool water)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or sub water)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-1 tsp maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice to taste)
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced dill (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced parsley (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh chives (or 1/2 the amount dried chives // optional)
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes -1 hour (or overnight in cool water). While cashews are soaking, measure out almond milk and add lemon juice and set aside to curdle (this makes your vegan “buttermilk”).
- Drain and rinse cashews several times and drain again. Then transfer to a small blender (a blender is preferred over a food processor for achieving a smooth texture) and add almond buttermilk, garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, vinegar, and maple syrup. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until very creamy and smooth.
- Add herbs and pulse several times to incorporate (you don’t want it fully puréed).
- Taste and adjust flavor, as needed, adding more salt for saltiness, maple syrup for sweetness, lemon juice or vinegar for acidity, garlic for garlic flavor, or herbs for a more herbal flavor.
- Use immediately at room temperature or refrigerate for 3-4 hours to chill. It will thicken in the refrigerator, so you can add more almond milk or water later on to thin if needed.
- Enjoy with vegetables, salads, cauliflower wings, or pizza! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 7-10 days. Not freezer friendly (will likely separate upon thawing).
*Recipe as written makes ~1 1/3 cups total dressing.
Leave a Comment & Rating!