There are rarely any good vegetarian options that aren’t slathered in five kinds of cheese, and there’s hardly ever a fresh vegetable in sight.
OK, rant over. The solution? Bring your own lunch! And so I did.
This recipe is inspired by my simple airplane salad that requires just 30 minutes to make, and it’s insanely healthy and delicious. Let’s do it!
The base of this salad is organic spinach and mizuna lettuce from our organic CSA! However, you can use whatever greens you have on hand. I think kale and green lettuce would also work well.
Next comes sweet potatoes that are roasted until tender and golden brown, as well as a ripe avocado for plenty of plant-based fiber and healthy fat.
Lastly? The dressing! It’s all about the dressing, which is my go-to 3-ingredient lemon-maple tahini dressing! It’s creamy, citrusy, and subtly sweet, and it complements this salad perfectly.
That’s really it! It’s light and refreshing yet satisfying.
For added protein, I sprinkled on a healthy dose of hemp seeds, which are a “perfect protein” and contain all 20 amino acids (among other amazing health benefits). Can we say superfood much? However, you can also add something like crispy baked chickpeas for added protein and fiber.
I hope you all LOVE this salad! It’s:
& Crazy delicious
This makes a perfect portable lunch, as it can be served chilled or at room temperature (making it ideal for long flights!). It’s delicious on its own and serves one as an entrée (with 22+ g protein!). And it would also make a delicious side to mains like my Grillable Veggie Burger, Chickpea Bolognese, or 8-Ingredient Zucchini Lasagna!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Sweet Potato & Avocado Green Salad
- 1 large organic sweet potatoes (can sub 2 small per 1 large // skin on, halved then sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil (or water)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (omit if you prefer a less sweet dressing)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Water (to thin)
- 5 cups greens of choice (I mixed organic mizuna + spinach)
- 1 medium ripe avocado (cubed)
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (as original recipe is written // use more baking sheets if making a larger batch). Add sweet potatoes, toss in a bit of oil (or water) and salt, and spread into an even layer.
- Bake 15 minutes. Then flip/toss to ensure even baking. Bake 5-10 minutes more or until tender and golden brown.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing by adding tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, and salt to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Then add water a little at a time until a semi-thick, pourable dressing is achieved.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon for acidity, salt for saltiness, or maple syrup for sweetness. Set aside.
- Assemble salad by adding greens to a serving bowl and topping with roasted sweet potato and avocado. Sprinkle on hemp seeds (optional), and serve with dressing.
- Leftovers keep (stored separately) in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Dressing will stay for 5-7 days.