Move over, butternut squash! Carrots are back and ready to be the new SOUPer star in this creamy vegan carrot soup. It’s rich thanks to coconut milk and subtly spicy from red pepper flakes, making it super warming and perfect for the transition from winter to spring!
The best part? It’s made in 1 pot with just 10 ingredients you may have around right now. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Carrot Soup
Like any good soup (okay, there are some exceptions!), this creamy carrot soup starts with a flavorful base of onion, celery, and garlic alongside the carrots.
Then we add dried thyme, salt, and vegetable broth for flavor, and red pepper flakes for a touch of heat. We kept the seasonings subtle to let the carrots really shine!
Then it’s time to make this soup CREAMY! Coconut milk provides richness and enough liquid to blend into a thick yet velvety smooth texture.
We hope you LOVE this carrot soup! It’s:
& SO delicious!
We love it topped with crispy chickpeas and croutons or served with toasted whole grain or gluten-free bread. It also pairs well with our Garlicky Sautéed Greens, Crispy Baked Pesto Tofu, or Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs.
More Easy Carrot Recipes
- Carrot Ginger Dressing
- Perfect Roasted Carrots (Quick & Easy)
- Creamy Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Quick Pickled Carrots
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Vegan Carrot Soup (1 Pot!)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (if oil-free, sub water and add more as needed)
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 pounds carrots yield ~ 6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 medium onion yields ~2 cups or 320 g)
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 stalks yield ~1 ½ cups or 150 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (plus more to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or store-bought)
- 1 (14-oz.) can full-fat coconut milk (or sub light coconut milk for less richness)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the carrots, onion, and celery to the pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the carrots are starting to soften, about 7 minutes. Then add the garlic, sea salt, dried thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and bring the soup to a simmer. Once simmering, cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are super tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until super smooth. Alternatively, let the soup cool for a few minutes, then blend it in a traditional blender.
- Season to taste with more salt and/or red pepper flakes. Serve warm with crusty bread and/or crispy chickpeas (both optional)!
- Store leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until warm.