Ever in the mood for roasted chicken but don’t want to go to the full effort? Us too! We have a remedy. Say hello to your NEW weeknight go-to: Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs! All the tender meat, crispy skin, and satisfaction of roasted chicken, with much less work and half the time!
These chicken thighs are perfect for weeknights or meal prep yet elegant enough to be the centerpiece at a dinner party. Our favorite kind of recipe! Just 7 ingredients and 30 minutes required. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs
The first step in our journey to flavorful roasted chicken thighs is combining some dried herbs and spices! Italian herbs (basil and oregano) combine with garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper for a perfectly balanced and super savory blend.
Next the spices generously coat the chicken thighs, and they go right in the pan. No waiting or marinating necessary! The thighs start skin side down for extra crispy goodness.
After both sides of the chicken thighs have their stovetop time, it’s garnish o’clock! Sliced lemons and fresh herbs add moisture and flavor as well as major gorgeousness. We eat with our eyes first, after all!
Then, at last, it’s time for a quick trip to the oven and they’re ready to enjoy.
We hope you LOVE these roasted chicken thighs! They’re:
& Quick + easy
They make an elegant entrée for a small dinner party or holiday gathering yet are simple enough for a weeknight meal.
What to Serve with Roasted Chicken Thighs
We love pairing them with roasted potatoes and pesto, but they go well with almost anything!
Try them with one or more of any of these sides:
- Perfect Roasted Carrots (Quick & Easy)
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
- Easy Pan Roasted Vegetables
- Creamy Tuscan White Bean & Kale Soup (1 Pot!)
- Rosemary Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella
- Lemony Risotto with Fresh Herbs & Garlic
- Lentil Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes
More Hearty Entrées
- Easy Shakshuka (with Fresh or Canned Tomatoes)
- Pinto Bean & Veggie Green Enchilada Bake
- Easy Gluten-Free Lasagna (Dairy-Free!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs
- 4 (6-8 oz. each) bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (pasture-raised, organic when possible)
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs (or sub 1 tsp dried basil + 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced into rounds
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh hardy herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage // removed from thick stems and torn a bit // optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and place a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe skillet) on the stovetop.
- In a small bowl, combine the Italian herbs, sea salt, red pepper flakes (optional), black pepper, and garlic powder. Then season the chicken thighs on both sides with the seasoning mixture. They should be seasoned well and evenly coated.
- Heat the skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add the olive or avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken thighs and sear on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until a golden brown crust has formed.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon slices on top of the chicken and some around the bottom of the skillet. Also add your herbs of choice at this time: Rosemary, thyme, and/or sage (optional).
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is ~170 degrees F (making sure the thermometer doesn’t hit bone to get an accurate reading).
- Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for ~5 minutes before serving. We like to serve ours with roasted potatoes and our easy dairy-free pesto. Also, baking the chicken with the olive oil and lemon makes a really delicious, juicy sauce that can be served on the side to pour over the chicken and potatoes!
- Best when fresh, though leftovers can keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until hot. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with olive oil and without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!