On our quest to find the perfect roasted potato, things got rather scientific in our kitchen. We tested all the methods we could think of including high heat, low heat, parboiling, less oil, more oil, and just about everything in between.
Good news: We found the version that produced PERFECT roasted potatoes every time! Let us show you how!
How to Make Roasted Potatoes
Behold, our method for perfect roasted potatoes every time:
- Toss evenly sliced potatoes in just enough oil to coat
- Add seasonings of choice and toss
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Make sure the pan isn’t crowded (to ensure they roast instead of steaming)
- Roast at 425 F (218 C) for 20-25 minutes
Best Potatoes for Roasted Potatoes
In our experience, russet potatoes tend to get a little mushy and mealy when roasting. So our go-to potatoes for roasting are the Yukon Gold and baby red varieties.
They remain buttery and tender on the inside but get crisp brown edges. Swoon!
Best Seasonings for Roasted Potatoes
This is really personal preference, but I love to keep things simple with sea salt, black pepper, and some finely chopped herbs (such as rosemary, oregano, or thyme).
We hope you LOVE these potatoes! They’re:
Crispy on the outside
Tender on the inside
& SO delicious
These would make the perfect side to just about any brunch item, especially our Egg-Free Frittata, Simple But Good Breakfast Bowl, or Easy Vegan Sausage! Serve as is, or with some nice quality ketchup!
More Potato Recipes
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes (1 Pot)
- French Style Potato Salad
- Sweet Potato Lasagna
- Creamy Vegan Potato Salad
- Easy 1-Pot Tikka Masala
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Perfect Roasted Potatoes
- 1 lb yellow / Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into even ~1/4 – 3/8-inch pieces ( ~2 medium-large golden potatoes // ~3 cups chopped as recipe is written — adjust amounts as needed)
- 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil
- ~1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped rosemary (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper. NOTE: If doubling/multiplying the recipe, be sure not to crowd the baking sheet or add too many potatoes to the oven at once or they will have a hard time roasting and will steam instead, producing mushier, less browned / crispy potatoes.
- Add chopped potatoes (~1/4 – 3/8-inch thick) to the baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil. The potatoes should be coated but not soaking in oil. Then add salt, pepper, and rosemary (optional) and toss well to combine.
- Roast until golden brown and crispy, or about 20-25 minutes. You'll know they're done when golden brown on the bottom and edges and tender in the center.
- Enjoy immediately with sides and sauces of choice. We prefer ketchup or hot sauce. Aioli would also be tasty.
- Store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days (not freezer friendly). Reheat in the microwave or — our preference — on a cast iron skillet over medium heat.