It takes a lot for John and me to fall hardcore in love with a new restaurant, but the minute I dipped one french fry into the whiskey bbq ketchup at Beer Kitchen in Kansas City, it was all over. It had to be made at home.
I’m already a condiment and sauce lover, so if there’s legit house-made ketchup somewhere chances are I’ve tried it. Oddly enough though, I’ve never made my own! That had to change.
Since my love for the whiskey BBQ ketchup has become borderline obsession, I decided to try my hand at it. Although it’s not a total 1:1 match, I got dang close!
It has all the rich flavor of ketchup with a hint of smoky BBQ and a boozy undertone. Mmmmm, delicious.
This ketchup is about as simple as it gets:
And somehow it still delivers all the bold flavor of BBQ in a saucy, rich ketchup. Friends, ready your french fries.
You guys are going to love this ketchup. It’s
& Perfect on just about anything
Breakfast potatoes, french fries, burgers, tots – you name it, we’re going there. Cheers!
Whiskey BBQ Ketchup
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (organic when possible)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste (organic when possible)
- 2-3 Tbsp whiskey (I used Bourbon Whiskey from Trader Joe’s)
- 2-3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire (ensure it’s vegan-friendly // ensure gluten-free for GF eaters)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine.
- Cook until bubbly – about 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 15 more minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more whiskey for a more boozy flavor, brown sugar for added sweetness, vinegar for more tang, and liquid smoke extra smokiness.
- Transfer to a jar and let cool before putting lid on. Will keep in the fridge for at least 2-3 weeks (probably longer).
- Perfect with our Crispy Baked Matchstick Garlic Fries!
*Recipe makes ~2 cups ketchup.
Leave a Comment & Rating!