French fries. We have an on-again off-again relationship.
Meaning I stuff my face with them once a month then swear off them until we meet again next month.
Thankfully, however, I’ve recently mastered the art of making fries at home super crispy style sans frying. Score! Now the two of us can see each other much more often – thank goodness.
I’ve made french fries before that required soaking in warm water before baking. Too much time and effort I say! These guys go straight into the oven at a high temp for ultimate crispiness.
It’s the matchstick shape and high temperature that helps them cook faster and get that golden brown crisp. I’m all for a good wedge-cut fry, but for that ultimate crispy texture, matchstick is where it’s at.
For another wave of flavor I sauteed some minced garlic in olive oil to toss with the fries fresh out of the oven. This is an optional step but certainly one that adds more zest and depth of flavor.
All that’s left is to dip in some Whiskey BBQ Ketchup and go to town. Oh mama.
I’m OBSESSED with these fries. They’re
Tender on the inside
Perfect with ketchup
& Slightly addictive
Serve these guys with burgers, sandwiches, queso, or on their own! They make perfect party appetizers and are sure to impress your growing throng of friends. If you give these a try, be sure to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can be fry besties. Cheers!
- 3-4 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and dried
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- Pinch each sea salt + black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- optional: 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (232 C).
- Chop potatoes into matchsticks by halving, halving once more, then cutting into wedges and then strips.
- Line two baking sheets with foil and generously spray with nonstick spray.
- Add fries plus a generous drizzle of oil and sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Arrange fries a single layer making sure they aren’t touching too much. This will help them crisp up and cook evenly.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, tossing/flipping at least once to ensure even baking.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and the minced garlic. Saute, stirring frequently, until just slightly brown to wake up the flavor.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the fries are finished, remove from oven, sprinkle again with sea salt, and spoon the warm garlic on top. Toss to coat and serve immediately as is or with Whiskey BBQ Ketchup.
- You can also add more flavor by tossing the fries once more with the rosemary.