Ready for your new favorite snack or side? Allow us to present this easy, 5-ingredient recipe that delivers crispy, cheesy potato fries that happen to be oil-free. Let’s do this!
The recipe starts with potatoes sliced into thin wedges. We love a heartier, thicker wedge “fry.” But if you’re into thinner fries, cut into more of a classic shape.
To get the inside tender and not burn the exterior, start by steaming your potatoes. We adapted this method from our Oil-Free Roasted Vegetables recipe! It works like a charm and partially cooks the potatoes to not only speed the cooking time, but also ensure the insides are fluffy and tender.
Next, it’s time for spices! For big cheesy flavor, we went with nutritional yeast and sea salt. And for a little heat, we opted for chili powder. After a short bake in the oven, you’re good to go!
We hope you LOVE these baked fries! They’re:
Crispy on the outside
Tender on the inside
& SO easy to make
These potatoes would make the perfect side or snack, especially on game days or if you’re in need of some serious carbs! They’re delicious on their own, but they also pair well with dips like Ketchup, Garlicky Guacamole, or even Jalapeño Vegan Queso!
These “wedge” style fries are perfect for dipping. But if you’re looking for “skinny” fries, check out our Garlicky Matchstick Fries! Also delicious.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Cheesy Chili Baked Potato Fries (Oil-Free!)
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds yellow potatoes (or russet potatoes)
- Water (for steaming)
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste (we added about 1/4 tsp more)
- 1 Dash cayenne pepper (optional, for heat)
FOR SERVING optional
- Fresh parsley or cilantro
- Fresh garlic
- Garlicky Guacamole
- Jalapeno Queso
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and line two (or more as needed) baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice potatoes into small wedges about 1/4- to 1/2-inch wide. Place in a steamer basket or large colander set over a pot of boiling water. Cover and then steam approximately 5 minutes until slightly tender but not cooked.
- Transfer to baking sheets and top with nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt, cayenne pepper (optional), and any other desired seasonings (see photo). Toss gently to coat.
- Arrange in an even layer on baking sheet, trying not to overlap, so that fries can get crispy. The more room they have, the crispier they will become. Use two baking sheets if needed.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and increase heat to 450 degrees F (232 C). Flip to ensure even baking on both sides and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot! They’re delicious as is, but they’re elevated tossed in fresh herbs and garlic (optional) and served with ketchup or guacamole. Best fresh. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in a 375-degree F (190 C) oven until hot.
*Method adapted from my oil-free roasted vegetables recipe
Leave a Comment & Rating!