With an Instant Pot and about 30 minutes, you can make tender, buttery potatoes with minimal effort! Let us show you how.
Instant Pot Potatoes
Cooking potatoes in the Instant Pot is quick and easy! Yukon gold potatoes are our preferred for best taste and texture, but red or yellow potatoes will also work.
Simply add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot, add the trivet (metal rack), and place the potatoes on the trivet (for mashed potatoes, leave the trivet out).
The cooking time will vary based on the size of the potatoes, so it’s best to use potatoes that are as even in size as possible. Cook on high pressure for perfectly tender potatoes
- Small potatoes (~2 inches or 50 mm diameter) = 12 minutes
- Medium potatoes (~2 ½ inches or 64 mm diameter) = 15 minutes
Once the potatoes are cooked, allow 10 minutes for the pressure to naturally release, then release any remaining pressure.
Potatoes go well as a side to nearly any main, including our Balsamic Portobello Burgers, Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken, and Grilled Romaine Salad. These potatoes can also be used to make our Simple French-Style Potato Salad, Vegan Nicoise Salad, Aloo Tikki (Indian Potato Cakes), and more!
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains, beans, and more!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Potatoes (Fast, Tender, Buttery!)
- 5 medium (~2.5-inch) Yukon gold potatoes (or sub 8 small potatoes (~2-inch or 50 mm))
- 1 cup water
- Vegan butter
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley or chives
- Use a fork or knife to poke holes in the potatoes; holes should be approximately 1 inch apart around entire potato.
- Add 1 cup of water to your Instant Pot and set the metal trivet over top. Then place potatoes on the trivet (they can be touching, but to ensure even cooking, don't stack or overcrowd).
- Secure lid and pressure cook on high for 12-15 minutes (12 minutes for small potatoes (2 inches, 50 mm), or 15 minutes for medium potatoes (2 ½ inches, 64 mm).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped.
- Enjoy immediately with your favorite toppings, such as vegan butter, salt, pepper, and fresh chopped parsley or chives. Best when fresh. Store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Enjoy cold, reheat in the oven, or slice and cook on the stovetop in a large skillet.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).