Ever since discovering the BEST method for crispy oven-baked tofu, we’ve been dreaming up other recipes using the same technique. Enter this PESTO variation that’s full of herby, savory goodness. It’s our new favorite!
How to Make Crispy Pesto Tofu
This 1-pan pesto tofu begins with a couple of our favorite hacks for super crispy tofu with minimal effort:
- Use high protein, super firm tofu to skip the need to press out any excess moisture. Extra firm tofu works, too, but we recommend pressing it for at least 15 minutes to ensure a crispy result!
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces to maximize the surface area that gets exposed to the heat, creating crispy edges all around.
Once we’ve set the tofu up for textural success, it’s time to get it ready in the flavor department! Four simple but mighty ingredients are all you need to give this tofu BIG flavor: pesto, oil, salt, and garlic powder.
Toss it all together and bake until golden with crispy edges, stirring partway through to ensure even cooking. A final toss with more pesto adds even more flavor and vibrant green color.
We hope you LOVE this pesto tofu! It’s:
Protein-packed (17+ grams per serving)
& SO flavorful!
More Recipes for Pesto Lovers
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Pesto
- Socca Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Pesto
- Vegan Pesto Parmesan Breadsticks
- Penne Pasta Salad (30 Minutes!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Crispy Baked Pesto Tofu (5 Ingredients!)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (218 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the tofu, then crumble it into pieces less than 1/2 inch in size and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Add half of the pesto (1/3 cup, unless adjusting the number of servings), along with the oil, salt, and garlic powder. Toss to evenly coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip with a spatula, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the tofu looks dry and golden with crispy edges.
- Leftovers keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in a skillet or in the oven at 350 F (176 C) for 5-10 minutes until warm and crispy.
*Store-bought dairy-free pestos we’ve tried and enjoy: Le Grand Garden Pesto, Gotham Greens Vegan Pesto, Trader Joe’s Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with 16 oz. Wildwood Super Firm High Protein Tofu and Le Grand Garden Pesto.