Who could say no to toasty and savory little bites of bread!? Not us. Flavorful, crunchy croutons are always a welcome addition to soups and salads, and they also happen to be SO quick and easy to make at home!
Once you give these homemade croutons a taste, we’re sure you’ll be putting them on everything, or just eating them right off the baking sheet. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Croutons
The first step is to choose your bread. Any type of savory bread will work, including sourdough, sandwich bread, and gluten-free, too! We tested all three and found sourdough had the best texture and flavor and sandwich bread created the most classic “crunchy” croutons.
To begin, cut the bread into cubes, creating maximum surface area for crispiness and flavor.
Then toss the bread with your choice of oil (avocado or olive oil). While avocado oil produces a more neutral flavor, you can’t go wrong with either one!
For a classic crouton taste, season the cubed bread with salt and pepper, plus garlic powder and dried Italian herbs (basil + oregano). You can also play around with the spices so they go with a specific dish you’re making!
After baking for a quick 8-12 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, crispy, golden brown croutons await!
We hope you LOVE these garlicky homemade croutons! They’re:
Quick & easy
& SO much better than store-bought!
Love Bread? Try These Next:
- The Easiest Whole Grain Seeded Bread
- The Best Gluten-Free Bread (No-Knead!)
- 7-Ingredient Muesli Bread
- Gluten-Free Flatbread (1 Bowl, 20 Minutes!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Garlicky Homemade Croutons
- 6 cups bread of choice*, cut into 1-inch (2 ½ cm) cubes (8 slices standard-size sandwich bread or 4-5 slices of larger bread like sourdough yield ~6 cups or 250 g)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or sub olive oil)
- 3/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning (dried basil + oregano // optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C).
- Add all ingredients to a baking sheet and toss with clean hands to evenly coat. Bake for 8-12 minutes (8 for softer croutons, 12 for crunchier), or until slightly golden and firm to the touch. We baked ours for 10 minutes.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with sourdough bread.