We’re no strangers to chocolate chip cookies (exhibits A, B, C, D, and E), but we were missing a more classic version of this timeless treat. Not anymore! Meet decadent vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies with chewy, tender centers and crispy edges.
Made in 1 bowl with just 8 ingredients and a quick chill time, these buttery, caramelly cookies will satisfy your cookie craving in no time! Let us show you how it’s done!
These cookies begin with the wet ingredients: flax egg for binding, brown sugar and vegan butter for crisp, caramelized edges, and vanilla extract for classic cookie flavor. Creaming the vegan butter and brown sugar with a mixer breaks down the sugar and makes them fluffy.
For the dry ingredients, we’ve got salt for flavor and baking powder for a little lift to mimic what eggs would normally do. And for the flour, we kept things simple and classic with our MB Gluten-Free Flour Blend. It works beautifully as a 1:1 swap for all-purpose flour (especially in cookies!).
Fold chocolate chips into the dough and set it in the fridge to chill. Chilling the dough ensures the cookies don’t spread too much and helps the flavors develop. After scooping, there’s no flattening needed (the oven does that for you!). Bake until golden on the edges, and it’s cookie time!
We hope you LOVE these vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies! They’re:
Tender in the centers
Crispy on the edges
& SO delicious!
Pair them with a cold glass of dairy-free milk or a warm mug of hot cocoa, or make a cookie sundae with ice cream and hot fudge (yes, we went there)!
More Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes
- 1-Bowl Cowgirl Cookies (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Healthier Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1-Bowl Ginger Cookies (V/GF)
- Grain-Free Cut Out Sugar Cookies (1 Bowl!)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Classic Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make a flax egg)
- 2 ½ Tbsp water (to make a flax egg)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter (we used Miyoko’s salted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup Minimalist Baker Gluten-Free Flour Blend* (1 cup + 2 Tbsp as original recipe is written)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks (ensure vegan-friendly as needed // we like Enjoy Life)
- To a medium mixing bowl add flaxseed meal and water. Let the mixture gel for 5 minutes. Next add brown sugar and softened vegan butter. Beat with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) on medium-high for about 1 minute until creamed. Add vanilla and beat again for 20 seconds.
- Next add gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir on low until just mixed. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. When the dough is done chilling, use a cookie scoop to scoop out ~18 cookies, keeping them in mound shapes and spacing 2 inches apart (adjust amount of cookies if altering the default number of servings). Bake for 10-14 minutes — until edges are golden and centers are soft. Option to sprinkle with flaky salt for extra flavor!
- Let them rest on the baking sheet to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool (or you can eat them right away!). Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
*We tested a chicken egg in place of the flax egg and didn’t prefer it — the texture was more cakey. If you want to use a chicken egg, we suggest replacing the baking powder with half the amount of baking soda, but we haven’t tested it that way.
*Adapted from our Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (1 Bowl!).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Miyoko’s salted vegan butter.
Leave a Comment & Rating!