Did anyone else love instant hot chocolate as a kid!? We’re talking the packets you dump in a mug, add hot water, and stir for instant, chocolaty comfort. When we saw coconut milk powder in the store, inspiration struck for a dairy-free, naturally sweetened version that’s just as easy and delicious!
Just 3 ingredients required for the mix, then simply add it to a mug with hot water whenever the cocoa craving strikes! It’s the perfect solution for the busy holiday season, hot chocolate on-the-go, gifting to friends and family, and beyond. Let’s make hot cocoa!
How to Make Dairy-Free Instant Hot Chocolate
You’ll need 3 ingredients to make this instant hot chocolate:
- Coconut milk powder – It’s coconut cream that’s been dried and can be reconstituted by mixing with water to make coconut milk!
- Cocoa powder – We recommend using a high-quality brand for best flavor.
- Coconut sugar – Dry sweeteners work best because they make this mix shelf-stable. But even if you’re making a single serving to enjoy right away, coconut sugar is still our preferred sweetener for best flavor!
- Cinnamon (optional) – Adds natural sweetness and has beneficial effects on blood sugar plus other positive health outcomes.
To make this hot cocoa, simply add the dry ingredients to a mug (or a glass jar if making a larger batch), and stir them all together.
Then add a little hot water (an electric kettle is great for heating it) and stir again to dissolve the powders and sugar.
Then fill up the mug with more hot water and stir once more for what’s probably the easiest dairy-free hot chocolate you’ve ever made!
Top with Coconut Whipped Cream and a little grated dark chocolate if you’re in the mood for something more fancy and indulgent.
We hope you LOVE this hot chocolate! It’s:
Quick & easy
& Perfect for gifting and on-the-go!
Make yourself a mug any time you’re craving chocolaty comfort in a mug, or mix up a batch of the dry ingredients to share with friends and family this holiday season! It would also be perfect for camping trips, taking to the office, or as a fun activity for kids.
More Quick & Easy Warm Beverages
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
3-Ingredient Instant Hot Chocolate (Dairy-Free!)
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk powder (we like Native Forest // choose a brand without casein if dairy-free/vegan)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (we like Equal Exchange Organic Baking Cocoa)
- 2-3 tsp coconut sugar* (or cane sugar)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 – 1 ¼ cup hot water
FOR SERVING optional
- Coconut whipped cream
- Grated dark chocolate
- Add coconut milk powder, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, and cinnamon (optional) to a mug (make sure it can hold at least 1 ¼ cup or 300 ml). Stir the dry ingredients together, then add just enough hot water to cover them (~2 Tbsp or 30 ml water // we like using an electric kettle for heating the water).
- Using a fork or small whisk, vigorously stir the mixture until a smooth, semi-thick “hot cocoa concentrate” forms. Then add 1 cup (240 ml) of hot water and stir well, breaking up any remaining clumps of coconut milk powder or cocoa.
- Taste and adjust as needed, adding more cinnamon for spice and/or more sweetener if you prefer. Enjoy right away! You can also make this treat fancier by topping with coconut whipped cream and grated dark chocolate.
*To make a large batch (6 servings) of hot chocolate mix (for making ahead or giving as a gift), combine 3/4 cup (96 g) coconut milk powder, 6 Tbsp (36 g) cocoa powder, and 4-6 Tbsp (48-72 g) coconut sugar. Mix all dry ingredients and store in an airtight container. To make a mug of hot chocolate, mix 3 ½ – 4 Tbsp dry mix with 1 – 1 ¼ cup hot water following instructions for best results. Mix is best used within one month.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of coconut sugar and without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!