Good news: After lots of testing (10 rounds!) we cracked the code for the ultimate classic vegan chocolate chip cookie.
It’s buttery, salty-sweet, studded with melty chocolate chips, crisp on the edges, and tender in the center. Swoon! Plus, it’s made in just 1 bowl with 9 simple ingredients. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
To “veganize” classic chocolate chip cookies, the main ingredients to swap out are eggs and butter. We opted for flax eggs as a binder because they tend to work well in cookies and are easily accessible.
And for butter, we went with vegan butter for a classic buttery taste. We also tested with coconut oil, but it’s more finicky, leads to issues with spreading, and yields oily cookies.
For dry ingredients, we kept it classic and accessible with all-purpose flour and baking powder for leavening. And for sugar, we included both cane and brown sugar. The addition of brown sugar adds a slight caramelly flavor.
To infuse these cookies with maximum deliciousness, we included generous doses of vanilla, sea salt, and chocolate chips. The result is gooey, sea-salty, chocolaty goodness in every bite!
We hope you LOVE these vegan chocolate chip cookies! They’re:
& Perfectly decadent!
They’re the perfect treat when you’re craving the comfort of a more classic-style cookie. Enjoy with a glass of dairy-free milk, made into an ice cream sandwich with vegan ice cream, or with your favorite latte (try our pumpkin spice or mushroom-infused options).
More Vegan Cookie Recipes
- Easy No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1-Bowl Vegan Sugar Cookies
- PB&J Graham Cracker Thumbprints
- Fudgy Vegan Brownie Cookies
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (1 Bowl!)
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make flax eggs)
- 5 Tbsp water (to make flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature (we prefer Earth Balance // 1 stick = 1/2 cup or 112 g)
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup unbleached all-purpose flour (1 cup + 2 Tbsp as original recipe is written*)
- 1 tsp sea salt (plus more for topping)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (we prefer Enjoy Life)
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare your flax eggs by mixing flaxseed meal and water and let rest for 5 minutes. Add in brown sugar, cane sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla (start with lesser end of range, and add additional 1 tsp for stronger vanilla flavor if preferred). Mix with electric mixer until creamy and pale in color (see photo) — ~ 1 minute.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder and stir by hand with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Fold in chocolate chips until just combined.
- Put the bowl of dough in the refrigerator to chill for 40 minutes.
- Preheat to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and begin scooping dough in 1 ½ Tbsp scoops (we like this scoop) onto prepared baking sheets. Space cookies 2 inches apart to account for spreading. Bake cookies on a center rack for 12-15 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown. Option to sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt or Maldon salt while still warm for extra flavor contrast and texture.
- Store leftovers covered at room temperature up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Enjoy at room temperature for best texture.
*Prep time includes chilling dough.
*If multiplying/shrinking the recipe, adjust flour accordingly based on 1 heaping cup = 1 cup + 2 Tbsp.
*You can substitute an equal amount of our NEW Minimalist Baker Gluten-Free Flour Blend for the all-purpose flour in this recipe.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.