Ahhh! It’s officially Christmas cookie season and I couldn’t be more thrilled. Consider this my first of many efforts to make your holiday season a little bit more simple and delicious. The great news? This just happens to be a 1-bowl, 7-ingredient, 30-minute recipe! I love (baking) simplicity.
The ingredients list for these cookies is simple:
That’s it! I can almost bet you have all of these items on hand. I love it when that happens.
In addition to the ingredients being minimal, the process is about as simple as it gets. Simply mix your wet ingredients in one bowl, add in your dry, mix and you’re good to go! Just roll those babies out and them give them a thumbprint. Playing with your food = so much fun.
After a short 10 minutes in the oven simply top them with warmed jam and they’re ready to eat. I sprinkled mine with a bit more graham cracker crumbs and thought it the perfect finish to a perfect peanut butter cookie.
The important stuff: What do they taste like? Kind of incredible.
A little crisp on the outside
Oh-so tender on the inside
Packed with PB flavor
& The perfect combination of flavors.
I mean, peanut butter, jelly and graham crackers are kind of meant to be together.
Even better news? They travel well and somehow get better the second day! I love it when that happens.
They’re also fairly customizable. If you aren’t a peanut butter fan, sub almond butter. And if you don’t like jam (who are you?), sub Nutella, a mini PB cub or a square of dark chocolate! Dream big and eat (cookies) often this December. Happy baking, friends!
PB&J Graham Cracker Thumbprints
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup natural salted peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter (softened // or coconut oil)
- 1 batch flax egg (1 Tbsp (7 g) flaxseed meal + 2 ½ Tbsp (37 ml) water as original recipe is written)
- 10 Tbsp jam of choice (I used strawberry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C)
- Prepare flax egg. Set aside.
- Beat peanut butter and butter together until light and fluffy. Add flax egg, brown sugar and stir.
- Add graham crumbs and stir to combine. Then add in flour a little bit at a time until a firm dough forms - you don't want it to be crumbly. It should take about 1/2 cup (as original recipe is written).
- Scoop out 1 packed Tbsp worth of dough and gently form/roll into balls. Moisten your hands with olive or canola oil if they aren't molding easily. Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Flatten balls gently with the bottom of a glass and use your thumb or finger to make an indention.
- Bake for 8 minutes and remove from oven. The indentions should've puffed up, so press them back down a little and pop them back in the oven to brown up a little more - 2-3 minutes until slightly golden brown. Be careful not to over-bake or they'll be too crunchy.
- Let rest on pans for a few minutes then transfer to cool on wire racks. Once the cookies are cooled, heat your jam until warm and pourable in a saucepan over medium-low heat or in the microwave. Then spoon small amounts (~1 tsp) of your jam into the middle of each cookie. Sprinkle with a few more graham cracker crumbs and serve immediately.
- Let cool completely before covering. To store, cover and keep at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.