A brownie and a cookie IN ONE. Yes, it’s possible! Dreams do come true. Let’s bake, friends!
These quick-and-easy 10-ingredient cookies are adapted from our Best Almond Meal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
For dry ingredients, we went with cocoa powder, almond flour, coconut sugar, and sea salt. Walnuts and dark chocolate chips add the ultimate brownie factor, while chopped-up dates add more natural sweetness and a sticky, caramel-like surprise to bite into. Swoon!
That means these cookies are not only vegan and gluten-free but also grain-free and naturally sweetened (if you use naturally-sweetened dark chocolate like Eating Evolved).
We relied on aquafaba as the primary binding ingredient for the cookies as well as for added fluffiness.
Whipped until soft peaks form, the aquafaba is then mixed with a little vanilla, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and melted dark chocolate to constitute the wet ingredients.
When mixed with the dry ingredients, it creates a tacky, semi-wet dough that tastes and smells just like brownies.
After a quick chill in the refrigerator, simply bake for about 15 minutes or until fluffy and dry on the edges. Wait a few minutes to cool (if you can) and then you’ll be diving into these indulgent (yes surprisingly healthy) brownie cookies!
We hope you LOVE these cookies! They’re:
Easy to make
Slightly crisp on the edges
Tender in the center
& SO decadent
These would make a delicious dessert to have on hand throughout the week. And they would also be a fun treat to bring to group dinners or parties! We could also see them packaging up nicely to give as a gift.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Happy baking and cheers, friends!
Fudgy Vegan Brownie Cookies
- 1 heaping cup almond flour (we recommend Wellbee's brand*)
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate (chopped bar or chips), DIVIDED
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 4 large medjool dates (pitted and chopped // if dry, soak in warm water for 20 minutes and then drain)
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (the brine/liquid in a can of chickpeas)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together almond flour, half of the dark chocolate chips, walnuts (optional), cocoa powder, baking powder, sea salt, and coconut sugar. Add in chopped dates and use a whisk to combine / break up dates into the mixture. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat aquafaba (using a handheld mixer or whisking vigorously) until light and fluffy and loose peaks have formed. (To see aquafaba whipped, check out this Guide to Aquafaba Video.)
- To the aquafaba, add the melted coconut oil and vanilla and beat or whisk to combine. Then melt the remaining half of the dark chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler and add to the aquafaba. Fold/stir to combine (see photo).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well combined. You should have a semi-tacky dough. Loosely cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out roughly 1 1/2-Tablespoon amounts of dough (I like this scoop) and place on baking sheet with about a 1-inch gap between each cookie to allow for spreading. Gently press down with palm of hand to form small discs (see photo). Optional: Top with a few more chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake on the center rack for 12-17 minutes or until puffy and the top no longer feels wet - they should appear mostly dry. Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes. Then carefully loosen with a spatula and set on a wire rack or plate to cool.
- Enjoy immediately or let cool. Store completely cooled leftovers in a sealed container at room temperature up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for 1 month. These are insanely delicious as is or when warm and dipped in almond milk or hot chocolate!
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the oil and without optional ingredients.