After creating our flavor-packed Easy Vegan Chorizo (and Chorizo Links), we knew we had to create something that made them the star of the show! Say hello to your new favorite breakfast: Chorizo Breakfast Tacos! Tender roasted potatoes, flavorful plant-based chorizo, sweet and spicy salsa, and creamy avocado combine for an explosion of flavors and textures wrapped in warm corn tortillas.
Fuel your day with these filling, versatile, protein-packed tacos. The components can be prepped ahead of time for extra speedy weekday breakfasts (or any meal of the day)! Just 30 minutes required. Let us show you how it’s done!
Origins of Breakfast Tacos
Tacos likely originated in Mexico in the 18th century. But what about breakfast tacos? They’re a popular item in restaurants in Austin, San Antonio, and other nearby parts of Texas. And while they likely originated in the kitchens of Mexican immigrant families, whether Austin or San Antonio deserves credit for being their birthplace is contentiously debated!
How to Make Breakfast Tacos
So what makes a taco a breakfast taco? Potatoes, chorizo, and other breakfast-y things! This is our inspired version.
The potatoes provide the starchy, filling base and are so easy to chop up, toss with avocado oil and salt, and pop in the oven.
While the potatoes bake, there’s just enough time to whip up a batch of our Easy Vegan Chorizo. Or for a shortcut, you can use store-bought or crumble our Vegan Chorizo Sausage Links if you’ve already made a batch.
With the potatoes and chorizo ready, all that’s left is wrapping in your favorite corn (or flour) tortillas (homemade if you’re feeling ambitious) and adding toppings!
We love adding avocado and our Easy Mango Salsa but also tested with store-bought red salsa, and the tacos were still a magical explosion of flavors. Any salsa would be delicious here, including our Easy Red Salsa, Chipotle Red Salsa, or Roasted Salsa Verde.
We hope you LOVE these breakfast tacos! They’re:
& SO Delicious!
They’re perfect for a build-your-own taco bar, make-ahead breakfast, and beyond! And while plenty filling on their own, they would also pair well with our Serrano & Rosemary Guacamole, Crunchy Jicama Slaw (1 Bowl!), Chickpea Chopped Kale Salad with Adobo Dressing, or Instant Pot Black Beans (Perfect Every Time!).
More Hearty Breakfast Recipes
- Cheesy Broccoli Hashbrown Bake (Oil-Free)
- Spring Frittata with Leeks, Asparagus, and Sweet Potato
- Roasted Sweet Potato & Kale Breakfast Hash
- 1-Pot Chickpea Shakshuka
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
- 1 lb yellow or red potatoes, chopped into even ~1/4 – 3/8-inch pieces (~2 medium-large golden potatoes // 1 pound yields ~3 cups chopped)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 batch Easy Vegan Chorizo (or Vegan Chorizo Links // or store-bought such as El Burrito Soyrizo)
- Salsa of choice (Mango Salsa is especially delicious // store-bought is fine too!)
- 10 corn tortillas (find our homemade recipe here // or small flour tortillas if not gluten-free)
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- POTATOES: Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add chopped potatoes (~1/4 – 3/8-inch thick) to the baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil. Then add salt and toss well to combine. Roast until golden brown and crispy, or about 20-25 minutes. You'll know they're done when they’re golden brown on the bottom and edges and tender in the center.
- CHORIZO: Prepare Easy Vegan Chorizo mixture while the potatoes are cooking. You can also use store-bought such as Soyrizo or leftover Vegan Chorizo Links (if using links, break them up into a crumble texture before cooking). To cook the chorizo (any of the options), heat a 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) avocado oil and place half of the chorizo into the skillet. Distribute evenly over the pan so it’s in one thin layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes, undisturbed. It should be sizzling and popping slightly — if it’s not, turn up the heat a bit. Repeat with the remaining chorizo.
- SALSA: Optionally, prepare Mango Salsa. Otherwise, use any store-bought salsa you enjoy. Other delicious homemade options include our Easy Red Salsa, Chipotle Red Salsa, or Roasted Salsa Verde.
- TORTILLAS: Warm tortillas by wrapping in a damp paper towel (or kitchen towel) and microwaving for 30 seconds – 1 minute. If using fresh or homemade tortillas, you can warm them one at a time in a cast iron skillet over high heat (or on a hot grill) for 10-20 seconds on each side (or until just warmed), then wrap in a towel to keep warm until serving.
- TACOS: To the warmed tortillas, add chorizo, potatoes, salsa, and chopped avocado and enjoy!
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep stored separately in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat potatoes and vegan chorizo in a skillet over medium heat, adding more oil as needed to prevent sticking. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Easy Vegan Chorizo and Mango Salsa.
Leave a Comment & Rating!