When imagining what would be delicious to enjoy in a post-holiday food coma, a hash brown dish came to mind. But instead of basic hash browns, I wanted a more indulgent twist. Enter: cheese sauce.
This dish is adapted from the lovely High Carb Hannah (who, if you don’t follow on YouTube, you absolutely should). Her version uses frozen hash browns and a low-fat cheese sauce. My version uses fresh grated potatoes and a quick cashew-carrot queso.
The result is an incredibly comforting, cheesy, salty, garlicky potato dish (with some greens!) that’s tender on the inside and crispy on the edges. Mmmmm, let’s make cheesy hash browns!
This 10-ingredient cheesy hashbrown bake strikes the perfect balance between comfort and veggies with a base of potatoes and broccoli.
The veggies are seasoned liberally with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast.
Then the magic comes in from the cheesy, carrot-infused sauce.
Cashews provide a creamy base, carrot adds beautiful color (& nutrients), garlic lends zing, and nutritional yeast adds that “cheesy” flavor (without the cheese). Lastly, sea salt enhances all the flavors and dairy-free milk thins it to a pourable texture.
Look at that cheesy goodness!
The sauce gets poured over the veggies, smoothed out with a spoon, and into the oven it goes. And the result? A crispy, golden brown hashbrown bake!
We hope you LOVE this hashbrown bake! It’s:
Crispy on the edges
& SO delicious!
This is the perfect comforting side dish with breakfast or dinner. It would pair especially well with our Easy Vegan Sausage, Crispy Portobello Mushroom “Bacon”, or Fluffy Vegan Scrambled Eggs. Or, if not vegan, a perfect fried egg!
More “Cheesy” Vegan Recipes
- Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- Cheesy Vegan Spinach & Artichoke Dip
- Cheesy Cauliflower Rice & Broccoli Bake
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Cheesy Broccoli Hashbrown Bake (Oil-Free)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (if nut-free, try subbing sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot (could also sub red or orange bell pepper)
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 5-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened plain dairy-free milk (e.g. almond, rice, or oat milk)
- 5 cups packed shredded golden potatoes (or sub frozen hash browns, but they will be a bit more wet when baked)
- 5 cups chopped broccoli (bite-size pieces)
- 3/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch (or similar) size baking dish (adjust number/size of pan if altering batch size).
- Soak cashews and carrots in very hot water for 20 minutes. Then drain the water and add them to a high-speed blender.
- If using a box grater, grate potatoes using the side with medium-sized holes. If using a food processor, cut into small pieces and use the grater attachment to grate the potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a thin dish towel (or nut milk bag) and squeeze out the extra liquid (this prevents a soggy hashbrown bake).
- Add grated, drained potatoes and chopped broccoli to the prepared baking dish and top with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast. Toss to combine.
- To the blender, add garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, and almond milk and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for zing, nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, and salt for saltiness. It should be quite garlicky, cheesy, and salty, so don’t be shy.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes and broccoli and toss to combine. Then use the back of a spoon to smooth out the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crispy on the edges. Bake slightly longer for crispier edges. Optionally, for an even crispier surface, turn the oven to broil in the last few minutes.
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly. Reheat in a 350 degree F (176 C) oven until warm.
Leave a Comment & Rating!