The perfectly cooked egg with a runny yolk is just 8 minutes away thanks to this easy, step-by-step tutorial!
If you’re like us and prefer a runny yolk but cooked whites, this is the recipe for you. Let’s do this!
All you’ll need for this recipe is a quality cooking pan (we prefer cast iron over stainless steel or non-stick), a bit of oil to grease the pan, good quality eggs (we prefer organic pasture-raised), and seasonings of choice (we prefer salt and pepper).
Once your pan is hot over medium heat, add a bit of oil, swirl to coat, then crack your eggs in, being careful not to break the yolks.
Then season with a pinch each salt and pepper (or desired seasonings) and cook for a few minutes uncovered (this allows the whites to start cooking without the yolks getting cooked).
Around the 3-minute mark, just before the whites are cooked, cover with a lid. This will allow the whites to firm up without overcooking the yolks.
Ah, perfect eggs every time. There you have it!
Enjoy these as is or with our favorite breakfast potatoes, sweet potato hash browns, or avocado toast!
If you try this recipe, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment, rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram!
How to Cook an Egg (Runny Yolk!)
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil (or other neutral oil with high smoke point)
- 2 large eggs (farm fresh, organic, pasture-raised whenever possible)
- Seasonings to taste (e.g. sea salt + black pepper // optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add just enough oil to coat the pan, then carefully wipe with a paper towel to remove excess. You want the pan oiled but no oil sitting in the pan (this makes the eggs bubble).
- Crack egg(s) in pan and cook for 3 minutes uncovered (add seasonings — optional — at this time). This allows the whites to partially cook and the yolk to begin cooking slightly.
- Then cover with a lid in the last 1-2 minutes to help the whites cook while the yolk stays soft for a “sunny side up” with cooked whites.
- Serve immediately! Best when fresh. See serving options linked above!
Leave a Comment & Rating!