When testing our Garlicky Sweet Potato Noodle Pasta, I experimented with the best way to turn sweet potatoes into pasta. One such experiment led me to discover that frying them in a skillet makes the perfect hash brown-style sweet potatoes, while steaming yields the best pasta “noodle” texture. The rest is history.
Let me show you this quick and easy method for making perfect sweet potato hash browns every time!
This 2-ingredient, 1-pan, 15-minute recipe starts with preparing your sweet potatoes.
Our preferred method is spiralizing them. But if you don’t own a spiralizer, you can simply grate using a box grater, or use the grater attachment on your food processor to achieve a similar effect.
Once spiralized or grated, simply heat a skillet until hot, add a little oil and your sweet potatoes and seasonings of choice, and pan fry to perfection.
The trick to perfect sweet potato hash browns is making sure your pan is hot enough to brown the sweet potatoes, while also covering with a lid to create steam so the hash browns get tender on the insides.
We hope you LOVE these sweet potatoes! They’re:
Tender on the inside
Crispy on the outside
So easy to make
& Incredibly delicious
These would make the perfect side for your breakfast spread. We picture them being paired with this Chickpea Scramble or Masala-Spiced Tofu Scramble. But they would also be tasty with spreads like our 5-Minute Macadamia Nut Cheese and Creamy Hummus from Scratch.
For more sweet potato recipes be sure to check out our Sweet Potato Almond Butter Muffins, Cajun Sweet Potato Fries, Sweet Potato Avocado Salad, Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, and Lentil and Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skin on (organic if possible)
- 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil (or other neutral oil // if oil free, omit and use a non-stick pan)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- Green onion or parsley
- Hot sauce or ketchup
- Tofu Scramble
- Heat a large skillet (we prefer cast iron) over medium heat. Once hot, add a little oil and only as many sweet potatoes as will fit comfortably in the pan. If they crowd the pan, they won’t brown as well.
- Season with a little salt and pepper (optional) and cook for about 5-8 minutes COVERED or until browned on the exterior and tender on the interior. Covering helps the sweet potatoes steam on the interior while still crisping up on the outside.
- Flip / toss at the halfway point to ensure even cooking. Continue to do this in batches until your sweet potatoes have all been cooked.
- Enjoy as is, or serve with fresh herbs, hot sauce or ketchup, or your favorite scramble. Best when fresh, but you can store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat in a hot skillet for best results.