Does avocado toast count as a recipe? I say it does.
It’s what I’ve been eating practically every day for the last month for breakfast, and this is my favorite version. Let me share this 5-minute, 3-ingredient version with you!
Shall we, toast?
How to Make Avocado Toast
Here’s the deal. Toast bread, add avocado, smash. SO FUNS.
Then top with my go-to vegan parmesan cheese and a little red pepper flake. This combination is insanely delicious. It’s simple, but spot-on. Trust!
It’s buttery from the avocado, salty and slightly cheesy from the parm, and spicy from the pepper flake. Major swoon.
How to Keep Avocados Fresh
When you’re enjoying avocado toast on the daily, you become dedicated to figuring out how to keep avocados fresh. This is my tried-and-true method for keeping avocados perfectly ripe for up to 3-4 days!
- Step 1: Buy when nearly ripe.
- Step 2: When ripened (soft to the touch- don’t squeeze hard), transfer to the fridge OR slice and use immediately.
- Step 3: Store leftovers in a plastic bag (or sealed container) with the pit still intact.
- Step 4: Slice off any brown edges before use.
Best Gluten-Free Breads
I wanted to share this recipe in part because it includes some tips on my favorite gluten-free breads!
What to Put on Avocado Toast
Although my go-to way to enjoy avocado toast is with vegan parm and red pepper flake, the possibilities are endless when it comes to avocado toast toppings.
Here are some ideas:
- Seeds (ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds)
- Sliced veggies (cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, radish)
- Leftover roasted veggies
- Fresh greens (baby spinach, baby kale, arugula, mixed greens, sprouts, microgreens)
- Fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, dill)
- Nutritional yeast
- Hot sauce
- Pickled red onion
- Fried egg or tofu
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Flaky sea salt
- Spices (black pepper, turmeric, curry powder, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika)
If you try this simple, nutrient-packed breakfast (or snack), let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
My Go-To Avocado Toast
- Toast bread in the oven or toaster. Top with ripe avocado and use a fork to smash. Top with vegan parmesan cheese and (optional) red pepper flake. Eat, repeat, enjoy!
*To keep your avocados in perfect ripeness, buy when nearly ripe. When ripened (soft to the touch), slice and use. Then store leftovers in a plastic bag with the pit still intact. It should stay in the refrigerator for 2-4 days! Slice off any brown edges before use.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Udi’s bread, lesser amount of avocado and both of the suggested toppings.