Make use of fresh spring and summer produce with this vibrant mango salsa! Sweet mango blends perfectly with spicy jalapeño, zesty onion, and lime juice for a spicy-sweet flavor. Just 8 ingredients, 20 minutes, and 1 bowl required. Let us show you how it’s done!
Origins of Salsa
Salsa is thought to have originated in Central America from the Incas, Aztecs, and Mayans. It dates as far back as the 1500s, when it was used as a condiment to add flavor and spice.
In the early 1900s, salsa’s popularity spread beyond Mexico and Central America, and it began to be commercially manufactured. Many variations exist, including salsa roja, verde, criolla, and more.
And though we’re not sure when or how mango and salsa got married, we’re all for it!
How to Make Mango Salsa
Making mango salsa at home is SUPER easy!
But the key for best flavor? Using a fresh, ripe mango that is sweet and juicy. Our favorite varieties are champagne (also called Ataulfo or honey mango) and Tommy Atkins mangoes. We’ve had the most luck with buying mangoes that have started turning red or yellow but aren’t yet wrinkly. Then we let them ripen in a warm, shaded spot until deep golden yellow/red and fragrant.
When ready to make salsa, all that’s left to do is finely chop mango, red bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro. Then add a squeeze of lime juice and a little salt and pepper. Once stirred together, it’s ready to serve!
We hope you LOVE this mango salsa! It’s:
& Full of flavor!
Enjoy as an appetizer, dip, side, or condiment!
What to Eat with Mango Salsa
It’s perfect for dipping your favorite chips or veggies or topping tacos (bean or fish), burrito bowls, and more!
It would also pair nicely with our Jamaican Jerk Grilled Eggplant (30 Minutes!), Roasted Plantain & Black Bean Vegan Bowl, 1-Pot Smoky Lentil Vegan Taco “Meat”, 1-Pan Mexican Shredded Chicken, and Smoky Tempeh Burrito Bowls.
More Mango Recipes
- Creamy Vegan Mango Lassi
- Vibrant Mango Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Gingery Mango & Berry Smoothie
- Chili Lime Mango Margaritas
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Easy Mango Salsa
- 3/4 cup finely chopped ripe mango* (1 large mango yields ~3/4 cup)
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (1 small pepper yields ~1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped jalapeño (1 small jalapeño yields ~2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion (or sub green onion for mellower onion flavor)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a small bowl, toss together all of the ingredients (mango, bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper). Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more salt for overall flavor, lime for acidity, jalapeño for heat, or mango for sweetness.
- Serve with tortilla chips, in burrito bowls, on tacos, or just eat it straight with a spoon!
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Not freezer friendly.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of lime juice.
Leave a Comment & Rating!