We debuted our Instant Pot by making brown rice, so it was only natural that we try its perfect match: black beans!
Making homemade black beans (from dry beans) is cost-effective and delicious, but it can be a little time consuming on the stovetop.
But with a little help from the Instant Pot, perfectly tender black beans are ready in under 1 hour with just 1 pot and 3 ingredients (no soaking required)!
How to Cook Instant Pot Black Beans
- Add beans and water (or broth) to Instant Pot. We also like a little onion and salt for added flavor (optional).
- Secure lid, press Pressure Cook — High, and set to 30 minutes. It will take ~8 minutes to pressurize and then the cooking will begin.
- When the Instant Pot timer goes off, set a separate timer for 20 minutes and allow the steam to release naturally (that means don’t push any buttons!).
- Carefully remove lid and enjoy perfectly cooked beans!
How to Use Black Beans
- 1-Pot Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
- Grain-Free Burrito Bowls with Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Southwest Sweet Potato Black Bean Dip
- Black Bean & Plantain Arepa Sandwiches
- Black Bean Plantain Enchilada Bake
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Black Beans (Perfect Beans Every Time!)
- 1 cup dry black beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1/4 medium white or yellow onion, skin on (NOT chopped — keep in a wedge // optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or sub water)
- 2 cups water
- Add beans, onion (optional), salt, vegetable broth, and water to the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes (it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins). Then let the beans rest in the pot for 20 minutes so the steam can dissipate naturally (this means you don't push any buttons — we recommend setting another timer so you’ll remember to remove the lid after 20 minutes).
- Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped. Remove onion and strain off any excess cooking liquid. Enjoy immediately, or store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.