Cabbage may just be our favorite vegetable to roast because it gets crispy, caramelized, slightly sweet, and pairs well with just about any seasoning! Once roasted, it’s perfect for adding to bowls, salads, and soups, or just enjoying as a side.
It also couldn’t be easier — just 3 ingredients, 1 pan, and 25 minutes required. Let us show you our tried-and-true method for perfect roasted cabbage every time!
Why Roast Cabbage?
Have you ever looked in the fridge and asked yourself, “How am I going to use up this entire head of cabbage before it goes bad?” If so, then you need roasted cabbage (and sauerkraut) in your life.
Once roasted, it shrinks down, becomes sweet, and suddenly that doomed-for-the-compost cabbage has a new life!
How to Make Roasted Cabbage
To make sure we were bringing you the best possible roasted cabbage recipe, we tested cutting the cabbage in various ways, plus different cooking temperatures, times, seasonings, and more.
In the end, our tried-and-true method won out: Thinly slice cabbage, lightly coat with oil, salt, and seasonings (optional), and then bake to crispy perfection!
For seasonings, our favorite pairing is our DIY curry powder. Also delicious would be our Shawarma Spice Blend or Za’atar. But even when seasoned with just salt, you’ll be amazed how quickly the panful is devoured.
We hope you LOVE this roasted cabbage! It’s:
Tender with crispy edges
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
It’s perfect as a side with nearly any main or added to bowls, salads, soups, and more. It would go especially well in Savory Moong Dal Rice Crepes with 1-Pan Potato (Aloo) Sabzi. Or serve alongside Crispy Quinoa Sweet Potato Fritters or Curried Quinoa Chickpea Burgers. The possibilities are endless!
More Perfect Roasted Vegetables
- How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Perfect Roasted Carrots (Quick & Easy)
- Perfect Roasted Potatoes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Perfect Roasted Cabbage (Quick & Easy!)
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (red or green)
- 1 ½ – 2 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil // use the greater end of range if adding spices)
- 1 healthy pinch sea salt
- 1 healthy pinch black pepper (optional)
- 1 ½ Tbsp curry powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (use more baking sheets if making a larger batch).
- Add thinly sliced cabbage to the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and toss to evenly coat. Arrange in a single layer, sprinkle with a healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper (optional), and with curry powder (optional). If using curry powder, toss once more to evenly coat cabbage with spices.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown and tender. The time it takes will depend on how thinly the cabbage is sliced. Toss at the halfway point to encourage even browning.
- Best when fresh. Leftovers will keep for 2-3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Not freezer friendly.