It’s no secret that we have a thing for Indian cuisine — the textures and techniques and flavor combinations are incredible!
This sabzi — the term in Indian cooking used to describe cooked vegetables — came to be during the creation of our dosa-inspired recipe. We needed a tasty filling and this was the perfect solution! We took much of our inspiration from this more traditional recipe from Holy Cow Vegan.
Most potato (aloo) sabzis require peeling and parboiling, but we keep things simple by dicing potatoes and cooking them right in the pan with the other ingredients. Just 1 pan required for this side or filling for Indian-inspired dishes and beyond!
How to Make Aloo Sabzi
This recipe starts with sautéing onion with mustard seeds, red pepper flake, and sea salt until the onion is translucent.
Then red bell pepper is added, giving the dish a slight sweetness and pop of color.
Next, the diced potatoes are added. We recommend dicing them small to allow cooking through fully without having to boil before adding to the skillet.
Then the pan is covered to allow the potatoes to steam and become tender. If they start sticking to the pan, you can add additional oil or a splash of water to help. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until fully cooked.
We hope you LOVE this dish. It’s:
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
It goes well with a variety of Indian-Inspired dishes, such as dosas, cheelas, and curries. Or try any time you might serve hash browns, such as alongside egg dishes and more!
More Indian-Inspired Potato Recipes
- Aloo Tikki (Indian Potato Cakes with Green Chutney)
- Mixed Vegetable Pakoras (30 Minutes!)
- Curried Quinoa Chickpea Burgers
- 30-Minute Potato Cauliflower Red Lentil Curry
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
1-Pan Potato (Aloo) Sabzi
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup red onion (finely diced)
- 1 ½ Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 healthy pinch sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (we prefer red)
- 4 medium yellow or red potatoes (peeled and diced)
FOR SERVING optional
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, ginger, mustard seeds, red pepper flake, and a healthy pinch of sea salt. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and another pinch of salt. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add the diced potatoes and another generous pinch of sea salt and stir to coat.
- Cover (to help steam the potatoes) and sauté for 20-25 minutes, reducing heat as needed and adding a splash of water (or oil) if the contents start sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stir occasionally.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!