Sweet potatoes are most definitely our favorite food group! Yes friends, we said food group. They’re worthy.
And roasting sweet potatoes is one of our favorite preparation methods- hello sweet, caramelized goodness.
In our years of making sweet potatoes, we’ve discovered a quick and easy method for perfect roasted sweet potatoes every time! Shall we?
How to Make Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Slice in half lengthwise– hello to cooking in half the time!
- Add oil– it prevents the sweet potatoes from sticking to the pan and also helps achieve slight caramelization along the edges.
- Place cut side down– the part touching the pan gets lightly browned and the rest softens to perfection.
- Roast at 375 degrees Fahrenheit– we have found that this temperature is low enough to allow the sweet potato to cook through fully, but high enough to provide a little caramelization.
Roasted Sweet Potato FAQs
How long does it take to roast sweet potatoes?
The time it takes will depend on the size of the sweet potato, but we find that for a medium sweet potato, 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-35 minutes is ideal. When you press the potatoes they should have a little give. Add more time, if needed.
How do you reheat roasted sweet potatoes?
We like to reheat them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet until hot. To speed up the cooking process, you can slice them into chunks before adding to the skillet.
Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
Not for this recipe! We prefer eating the skin (hello, fiber!), but you can scoop out the flesh and leave the skin, if preferred.
How long do they keep?
We recommend storing leftover roasted sweet potatoes covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Nourishing Curried Lentil & Sweet Potato Bowl
- Baked Sweet Potatoes 2 Ways!
- Savory Breakfast Salad
- Immune Booster Orange Smoothie
- Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. We’d LOVE to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
How To Roast a Sweet Potato
A quick and easy, fool-proof way to make perfectly roasted sweet potatoes every time in HALF the time. Plus, two delicious topping ideas!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and transfer to a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil (if avoiding oil, omit) and massage to coat. Place cut side down on the baking sheet.
Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until caramelized on the edges and when you press on the top of the potatoes they have a little give.
Best when fresh. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet until hot.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with avocado oil and without toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 2 Sweet Potatoes)
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.32g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Potassium: 438mg
- Carbohydrates: 26.2g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin A: 18450IU
- Vitamin C: 4.1mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- Iron: 0.7mg