Welcome to December. Kind of crazy isn’t it? 2014 is almost over. I still haven’t quite grappled with it all.
But nonetheless, here we are smack dab in the middle of the holiday season and I’m feeling kind of cozy.
Though I normally crave warmer things in colder months, this smoothie makes a shining exception with its rich orange hue, creamy texture and warm, spicy notes. I think I’ve learned to love sweet potato in a whole new way.
I absolutely adore sweet potatoes for breakfast in these oats, for lunch in this salad, and for dinner with roasted chickpeas and garlic sauce.
You really can’t go wrong with their exceptional nutritional content, boasting plenty of beta carotene and vitamin C (great for immunity). Not to mention, one potato provides roughly 4 grams protein and 6 grams of fiber.
This smoothie also contains cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric, all of which act as anti-inflammatory agents in the body, among many other benefits.
This combination also adds a warm, spicy undertone that complements the sweetness of the sweet potato perfectly.
Last but not least, orange juice adds plenty of Vitamin C and extra immune-boosting benefits to help ward off any stubborn colds this winter.
I think you’re going to love this smoothie. It’s:
& Seriously delicious
This smoothie is perfect for days when you want something nourishing and a little sweet. Plus, it’s simple with less than 10 ingredients. That’s my kind of breakfast.
We hope you love this recipe! And if you do, be sure to take a picture and tag it @minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. It seriously makes our day. Cheers!
Immune Booster Orange Smoothie
- 1 cup loosely packed sweet potato purée (1 large potato yields ~ 1 cup or 328 g // skin removed // or sub pumpkin purée + extra banana or maple syrup for sweetness)
- 1 medium ripe banana (previously sliced and frozen)
- 1 Tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 tsp each ground turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger (if using fresh ginger, use 1 tsp chopped per 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/2 Tbsp flaxseed meal or chia seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
- 1 large handful ice
- To bake your sweet potato, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and split in half lengthwise. Lightly oil and place face down on a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until soft – 25-30 minutes.
- Or, to steam, place in a steamer basket over 2 inches of simmering water and cover to steam for roughly 5-10 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool slightly before adding to blender.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings/sweetness as needed. Add more banana or orange for added sweetness, and more ice to thicken.
- Split between two small glasses and serve. Garnish with extra cinnamon.
Leave a Comment & Rating!