We have a serious thing for golden milk — the traditional Indian beverage that has its roots in Ayurveda and is most traditionally known as haldi ka doodh. In its simplest form, it’s a combination of warmed milk and ground turmeric, which may sound like an interesting combination, but once you try it, you just get it. It’s not only comforting but also incredibly anti-inflammatory and delicious. This granola is an homage to golden milk.
All of the spice, warmth, and sweetness of golden milk in crunchy, satisfying granola form. We include plenty of nuts and seeds for a nutrient-packed breakfast or on-the-go snack! Just 9 ingredients required. Let us show you how it’s done!
Good news, friends! We tested this recipe two ways and found it works beautifully with both aquafaba (for an oil-free option) and coconut oil (for those looking for simplicity). No matter which version you choose, crispy, vibrant golden milk granola is in your future.
We’ve been making aquafaba for years now, but we’re still amazed by the magical, fluffy texture that is created by simply whipping chickpea brine (check it out below!). Not only is it a great binder for granola, but it makes some seriously good vegan mayo, waffles, and cookies — like woah!
For this granola, we included rolled oats for a classic granola feel, almonds and chia seeds for crunch, coconut flakes for richness, and a little salt for flavor. Coconut sugar adds sweetness, golden milk spice mix provides the golden milk component (which is rich with ground turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon), and the combo of maple syrup and whipped aquafaba yields crispy granola clusters. An optional touch of vanilla extract infuses the granola with subtle vanilla flavor.
*Note: You can learn about golden milk and its ancient history in India and Ayurveda here.
After mixing up the ingredients, the final step is to give it a quick bake. Optionally, stir in some golden raisins for even more golden color and bites of sweetness!
We hope you LOVE this golden milk granola! It’s:
It’s a delicious (and addictive) snack by the handful or enjoy it in a bowl with dairy-free milk, yogurt, and/or fresh fruit.
More Recipes Using Golden Milk Spice Mix
- 5-Ingredient Golden Milk Snack Bites
- Golden Milk Ice Cream
- Dark Chocolate Golden Milk Macaroons
- Creamy Golden Milk Smoothie
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Golden Milk Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats (gluten-free as needed)
- 1 cup chopped raw almonds (or slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or other dry sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 ½ Tbsp golden milk spice mix (see notes for individual spices)
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (measured before whipping // if not oil-free, option to sub an equal amount of melted coconut oil or avocado oil)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F (163 C) and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the oats, chopped almonds, coconut, chia seeds, coconut sugar, salt, and golden milk spice mix (see notes for individual spices). Stir to combine.
- Add the aquafaba to a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to whip into loose peaks. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes. NOTE: If using oil in place of aquafaba, skip the whipping step.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla (optional) to the aquafaba and beat for 30 seconds more (or if using oil, stir to combine). Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and fold to evenly coat.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. Stir at the halfway point and rotate the pan to ensure even baking.
- Let cool completely, then add the golden raisins (optional) and toss. Store the granola in an airtight container and enjoy as a quick snack or in a bowl with some dairy-free milk! Store at room temperature for up to 3-4 days, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
*Individual spices (amounts as original recipe is written // adjust as needed if adjusting batch size): 1 ½ Tbsp ground turmeric, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, pinch of ground nutmeg, pinch of ground clove.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with aquafaba and without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!