We’ve been digging golden milk for a while now, so it was due time to share my go-to recipe.
If you haven’t tried golden milk yet, you’re missing out! It’s a creamy (dairy-free), hot milk drink that’s filled to the brim with nutrients.
Yes, a delicious beverage with health benefits. Dreams do come true.
What Is Golden Milk?
Our plant-based version is inspired by the lovely Nutrition Stripped and requires just 8 ingredients, 1 pot, and 5 minutes. We’ve been making McKel’s version for quite some time now with a few modifications, and it’s now a daily obsession.
What Are The Benefits of Golden Milk?
Also known as haldi doodh, golden milk is touted for its healing, anti-inflammatory properties largely thanks to curcumin found in turmeric.
Turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years for conditions such as breathing problems, joint pain, fatigue, digestive issues, and more.
Modern research also suggests that turmeric is a potent antioxidant with antimicrobial and anticancer effects.
Although turmeric gets most of the spotlight, the other spices in golden milk are also health-promoting! Both ginger and cinnamon are known for their anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial benefits.
How to Make Golden Milk
I’ve found that using a mix of light coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk creates the perfect creamy base. I’ve tried using both fresh and ground turmeric and have to say ground is better in terms of flavor!
Coconut oil adds richness and makes the turmeric more available for our bodies to absorb because it is fat-soluble. If oil-free, consider using a coconut milk with at least some fat content (canned vs. boxed). And by some wizardry, black pepper also makes the curcumin in turmeric more bioavailable, so it’s an important addition as well.
To sweeten, you can go any number of ways. I typically go for a spoonful of maple syrup, and if it still needs some sweetness, a dash of stevia is perfect.
I hope you all love our go-to Golden Milk! It’s:
Turmeric + ginger-infused
This is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up when you need something to tide you over till dinner. The health perks alone have made it a daily ritual for us. Anything anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich is a win in my book.
This drink is delicious on its own, but it pairs especially well with treats like Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Cookies and 1-Bowl Carrot Apple Muffins. And if you’re into golden milk, be sure to check out our Golden Milk Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate Golden Milk Macaroons!
If you try this recipe, let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and tagging a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Minute Vegan Golden Milk
- 1 ½ cups light coconut milk (or sub other dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk (DIY or store-bought)
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tsp freshly grated ginger*)
- 1 whole cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (optional for richness // see notes for oil-free)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Sweetener of choice (i.e. maple syrup, coconut sugar, or stevia to taste)
- To a small saucepan, add coconut milk, almond milk, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, coconut oil (optional), black pepper, and sweetener of choice (I usually add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup // adjust amount if altering number of servings).
- Whisk to combine and warm over medium heat. Heat until hot to the touch but not boiling – about 4 minutes – whisking frequently.
- Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavor. Add more sweetener to taste or more turmeric or ginger for intense spice + flavor.
- Serve immediately, dividing between two glasses and leaving the cinnamon stick behind. Best when fresh, though leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave until hot.
*If oil-free, consider using a coconut milk with decent fat content (canned vs. boxed).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with fortified almond milk and without sweetener or coconut oil.
*Recipe heavily adapted from the lovely Nutrition Stripped!