Creamy, homemade coconut milk made with 2 ingredients in 10 minutes! Let me show you how.
How to Make Coconut Milk
A quick, 2-ingredient recipe for homemade coconut milk! Creamy, naturally sweet, and the perfect dairy-free alternative to milk!
Servings 6 (1/2-cup servings)
- 2 cups (~160 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3-4 cups (720-960 ml) water (use less water for thicker, creamier milk!)
- Pinch salt
- optional: 1 date or 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup for sweetness
- optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: 2 Tbsp (10 g) cocoa or cacao powder for chocolate “milk” or 1/4 cup fresh berries for berry “milk”
- Add coconut, 3 cups (720 ml) water, salt, and any additional add-ins (optional) to a high-speed blender. Top with lid and cover with a towel to ensure it doesn’t splash. Blend for about 2 minutes or until the mixture seems well combined.
- Scoop out a small sample with a spoon to test flavor/sweetness. Add more dates, salt, or vanilla as needed. Add remaining 1 cup (240 ml) water if too thick.
- Pour the mixture over a large mixing bowl or pitcher covered with a nut milk bag, a very thin towel, or a clean T-shirt. In my experience, it benefits from a single strain either through a very thin towel or nut milk bag. You can save pulp for baked goods or to add to oatmeal, smoothies, or energy bites.
- Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days (sometimes more). Enjoy cold or hot and shake before use, as it can separate in the refrigerator (due to no preservatives!). Can be used in smoothies, with granola, for golden milk, for matcha lattes, or for baked goods.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 (1/2 cup) servings calculated with 3 cups of water and the leftover coconut pulp nutritional content subtracted.
Nutrition (1 of 6 servings)
Serving: 1 half-cup servings Calories: 53 Carbohydrates: 2.3 g Protein: 0.5 g Fat: 5 g Saturated Fat: 4.4 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 7 mg Fiber: 1.4 g Sugar: 0.9 g
Liked this recipe? Check out our Guide to Dairy Free Milk for 5 more dairy-free milk recipes!