If you’re into golden milk, this smoothie is a must-try! It requires 7 wholesome ingredients (you likely have on hand right now), 1 blender, and 5 minutes to make. Let’s do this!
What Is Golden Milk?
Golden milk is a traditional Indian drink that has its roots in Ayurveda. In its simplest form it’s a blend of hot milk and ground turmeric. We like to enjoy it with additional spices such as ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, clove, and cardamom. But turmeric is the star of the show!
Turmeric is a vibrant yellowish-orange root that looks similar to ginger. It has been used in India for nearly 4,000 years and India still produces and consumes the majority of the world’s turmeric crop. But it has gained popularity throughout the world in part due to its vast medicinal uses. (source)
How to Make A Golden Milk Smoothie
The base of this smoothie is frozen banana for natural sweetness and a creamy texture. We tested other fruits and nothing quite worked. But if you’re trying (or prefer) to avoid banana, we include another option in the notes!
For anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and digestion benefits, we included plenty of fresh ginger and ground turmeric. Black pepper boosts the absorption of turmeric, so we added that as well. And don’t forget cinnamon for more natural sweetness and warmth.
Coconut milk keeps things super creamy, and as an optional touch, we threw in some fresh carrot juice to balance the banana flavor and provide an even more intense orange (golden) hue.
We hope you LOVE this smoothie! It’s:
Quick + easy to make
& Super delicious
More Smoothie Recipes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Golden Milk Smoothie
- 1 cup banana* (ripe, sliced, and frozen)
- 1 cup light coconut milk or almond milk (or store-bought // use full-fat coconut for creamier smoothie)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (preferred flavor over fresh)
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger (plus more to taste)
- 1 Dash ground cinnamon
- 1 Dash black pepper
- 1 Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 Dash ground clove and cardamom (optional // for more warmth + spice)
- 1/4 cup fresh carrot juice* (optional // for color, added sweetness + balances banana flavor // or sub 1 small carrot!)
FOR SERVING optional
- 1 Tbsp Hemp seeds
- Add banana, coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, and nutmeg to a high-speed blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth. If including, add cardamom, clove, and fresh carrot juice at this time (optional).
- If too thick, thin with more coconut milk or water. If too thin, thicken with ice (or more frozen banana, though it will add more sweetness).
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more cinnamon for warmth, black pepper for spice, ginger for “zing,” turmeric for earthiness / more intense color, or banana for sweetness. Adding carrot juice will also add sweetness and more intense orange/yellow hue.
- Divide between serving glasses (ours are from West Elm) and enjoy immediately. Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Freeze leftovers by pouring into an ice cube tray and use for future smoothies (either this smoothie or others you’d like to infuse with a golden milk flavor).
*Make carrot juice in a juicer, buy at the store, or add 1 raw or cooked carrot to the smoothie to a similar effect.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on full recipe calculated with light (canned) coconut milk and without optional ingredients.