Hey, friends! How’s your summer going so far?
Made any rad travel plans?
Crashed a wedding?
Danced into the wee hours of the morning?
If no, why not?
If yes, go you.
My summer has been pretty grand.
So far we’ve gone to wine country, made frequent trips to the farmers market, finished up the content portion of our print cookbook (due out late 2015!), and have just generally been trying to relax. There’s something beautiful about warm afternoons spent on patios, sipping wine, and just taking it easy.
Let’s do more of that. Take it easy, shall we? Yes, we shall.
One of the things I love most about summer mornings is a good, heart pounding workout followed by a seriously nutrient-packed smoothie. Yum.
I’ve been reaching for green things lately, but was in the mood for a switch-up. This recipe did just the trick.
Vitamin- + Nutrient-packed
Try this smoothie, OK?
If you’re into slightly sweet-tart smoothies with a kick from ginger, this is the one for you!
Also, does it get more hippie than making your own carrot juice? I think not! Make your mom proud and do it yourself. If the color and flavor notes of this smoothie aren’t enough, here’s a quick rundown of the health benefits:
Ginger // stomach soother, immune booster, infection fighter, anti-inflammatory badass (source). It’s nicknamed “the herbalist’s best friend” and has been a powerful plant in Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine for a very long time (source)!
Banana // Digestion aid, potassium-packed, lowers blood pressure, healthy carbs, tastes like candy (source)
Pineapple // Vitamin C-packed, anti-inflammatory, digestion aid, antioxidant-packed, energy boosting, nature’s candy (source)
Turmeric // Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich, battles cystic fibrosis, free radical-fighting, lowers cholesterol (source). Plus, it’s been used for medicinal purposes in India for nearly 4,000 years (source)!
Carrot // Antioxidant- and Vitamin A-rich, beta carotene-packed, vision booster, free radical fighter (source)
If you give this recipe a try, let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and tagging a picture #minimalistbaker on Instagram – we’d love to see what you come up with. Bottoms up!
Carrot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 large ripe banana (previously peeled, sliced and frozen // more for a sweeter smoothie)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger (peeled // 1 small knob yields ~1/2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (or sub cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (1/2 small lemon yields ~1 Tbsp or 15 ml)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make carrot juice by adding carrots and filtered water to a high speed blender and blending on high until completely pureed and smooth. Add more water if it has trouble blending / scrape down sides as needed.
- Drape a large, thin dish towel over a mixing bowl and pour over the juice. Then lift up on the corners of the towel and begin twisting and squeezing the juice out until all of the liquid is extracted. Set aside pulp for smoothies, or baked goods (such as carrot muffins).
- Transfer carrot juice to a mason jar – will keep for several days, though best when fresh.
- To the blender add smoothie ingredients and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add more carrot juice or almond milk if it has trouble blending. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more banana or pineapple for sweetness, lemon for acidity, ginger for bite, and turmeric for warmth.
- Divide between two glasses (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and serve. Best when fresh.