When considering how to infuse the holidays with more Minimalist Baker style, my mind immediately went to matcha.
Matcha has been my go-to morning drink for a couple years now. We love its earthy tea flavor, vibrant green hue, and impressive health benefits. Curious which matchas we love most? Check out our Best Matchas Review!
At first, we attempted adding culinary matcha to sugar cookies and baking them. But we didn’t love the results. So we instead tried infusing dairy-free buttercream frosting with matcha and WOW — talk about love at first lick.
This 1-bowl, 4-ingredient frosting is made with:
- Dairy-free butter (we prefer Miyoko’s or Earth Balance)
- Organic powdered sugar (sifted to prevent clumps)
- Vanilla extract
- & Matcha
Simply whip dairy-free butter until light and fluffy, and then mix in matcha, vanilla, and powdered sugar until creamy and vibrant green in color.
At this point, you can leave it as is (especially if frosting cakes). But if frosting cookies, it can be easier to work with thinner frosting, so we recommend stirring in a little dairy-free milk at a time until the right consistency is achieved (see cookie frosting pictured below). Swoon!
Consider us MADLY in love with this frosting! It’s:
- Vibrant green
- Quick & easy to make
- Perfectly sweet
- Light & fluffy
This would make the perfect frosting for our Grain-Free Sugar Cookies this holiday season! Add sprinkles of choice for an even more festive touch.
More Frosting Recipes
- Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cashew Buttercream Frosting
- Date-Sweetened Chocolate Frosting
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Matcha Buttercream Frosting (1 Bowl!)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (softened // 1/2 cup = 1 stick or 113 g // we prefer Earth Balance // if not vegan, sub organic dairy butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ – 2 cups sifted powdered sugar (buy organic to ensure vegan-friendly)
- 2-4 tsp quality culinary matcha (see our Matcha Review!)
- 1-2 Tbsp dairy-free milk (such as unsweetened almond milk // optional)
- Using softened butter is very important so it can whip and combine with the powdered sugar. To soften, let set out at room temperature for about 1 hour. Resist the temptation to microwave, which will melt the butter and make it too runny.
- Add vanilla and softened butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with a mixer on high for 30 seconds. Then add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup (56 g) at a time being sure to sift as you add, or it will clump.
- Add matcha 1 tsp at a time and beat again to combine. The more matcha you add, the more intense the green color and the matcha flavor will become. We found 4 tsp (or more) to be about right (as the recipe is written). Add more as needed for more color and flavor.
- If you’re using your buttercream for cakes, it should work well as is. But if using for sugar cookies, you may want to thin it a little bit with dairy-free milk of choice. Add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) at a time and beat until the desired texture is reached.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator, where it will thicken / harden. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator up to 1-2 weeks (sometimes longer), or in the freezer up to 1 month (let thaw at room temperature until soft).