Vegan Chocolate Ganache Frosting
A step-by-step tutorial on how to make easy, vegan chocolate ganache frosting! Perfect for cakes, cupcakes and quick breads!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Frosting
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
Serves: ~2.5 cups
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup (230 grams) dairy free dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) vegan butter*, softened and cut into Tablespoon-sized slices
- 1 1/4 - 2 cups (~150 - 250 grams) powdered sugar
- Add almond milk to a mixing bowl and microwave for 1 minute. (Alternatively, heat in a saucepan until hardly simmering and then transfer back to mixing bowl.)
- Immediately add chocolate to warm milk but don’t touch for 2 minutes so it can melt.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon to incorporate, then add softened butter and cover. Let rest untouched for another 10 minutes to meld.
- Use your mixer to beat the mixture together. Then add 1 cup powdered sugar, mix again, and place in fridge to set for 20-30 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when you tip it and it’s slow to move.
- Remove from fridge and beat again. If it’s still too thin, add another 1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. I found that chilling for a total of 20 minutes and adding 1 3/4 cups total powdered sugar was perfect.
- Perfect for cupcakes, cake and quick breads! Frosting keeps at room temperature for several days on baked goods, or in the fridge for up to a week, covered.
*Or sub 1/4 cup (60 g) melted coconut oil for the butter.
Serving size: 1 Tbsp (of ~40 Tbsp) Calories: 66 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: 1.8g Carbohydrates: 8.1g Sugar: 7.5g Sodium: 27mg Protein: .2g