Garlic bread lovers, we have a surprise for you: The BEST Vegan Garlic Bread is here! We took all our knowledge of garlic bread and gave it the vegan twist. It has all the addictive deliciousness you know and love but without the dairy!
It’s buttery, savory, brimming with garlicky goodness, and can be made gluten-free, too! With just 7 ingredients and 25 minutes required, all your garlic bread dreams are about to come true. Let’s do this!
Who Invented Garlic Bread?
Garlic bread (also called garlic toast) is one of the most delicious things ever created. It’s a strong claim, but one we stand behind! So who is to thank for this delicious creation? Garlic bread’s roots go back as far as ancient Rome and may also be inspired by bruschetta, invented in Italy around the 15th century (source).
Versions of garlic bread are popular throughout North America and Europe. The following is our dairy-free take on the toasty, garlicky, buttery dish!
How to Make Vegan Garlic Bread
This vegan garlic bread starts with a buttery spread made with your favorite dairy-free butter (we like Miyoko’s), chopped garlic, fresh parsley, and salt and pepper. It’s perfectly garlicky, herby, salty, and creamy!
After mixing it together, the spread becomes slightly softened and perfect for lathering on your favorite bread. We tested with sourdough, gluten-free, and whole wheat sandwich bread as well as a baguette, and all worked incredibly well!
The last steps are to sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese and bake to golden perfection!
We hope you LOVE this garlic bread! It’s:
Easy to make
& Incredibly delicious!
What To Serve with Garlic Bread
It’s the perfect side for soups, pasta, pizza night, and beyond! Try it paired with our Easy 1-Pot Tomato Soup, 1-Pot Vegan White Bean Soup, Easy Penne Arrabbiata, Easy Vegan Lasagna, or Chickpea Caesar Salad (30 Minutes!).
More Comfort Food Sides
- Perfect Vegan Cornbread
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No Drain, 20 Minutes!)
- Perfect Roasted Potatoes
- Fluffy Vegan Spelt Rolls
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
The BEST Vegan Garlic Bread
- 8-10 slices bread of choice (ensure vegan as needed // sourdough, sandwich, and gluten-free bread all work wonderfully! // or use one large halved baguette)
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter (Miyoko's for best flavor)
- 2 Tbsp finely minced garlic (4 large cloves garlic yield ~2 Tbsp // or sub 2 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 3-7 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (or store-bought)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well until the parsley and garlic are evenly distributed and the butter is slightly softened and spreadable.
- Place ~1 Tbsp of butter mixture on each slice of bread, spreading it evenly, reaching all the way to the edges of the bread. Be generous! Place the bread in a single layer on a large bare baking sheet (for larger bread you may need 2 sheets) — it’s okay if the bread is very close together or touching as long as it’s not overlapping.
- Evenly sprinkle ~1-2 tsp of vegan parmesan cheese on each slice of bread.
- Place the bread in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are just turning golden and the vegan parmesan is looking lightly toasty.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in the oven at 350 F (176 C) until warmed through, ~5-10 minutes.