Perfect Vegan Cornbread
- 1 1/2 batches flax egg (1 1/2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 4 Tbsp water as original recipe is written)
- 3/4 cups unsweetened plain almond milk (plus 1 Tbsp as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted (I like Earth Balance)*
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cups fine yellow cornmeal (plus 1 Tbsp as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size)
- 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour* (plus 1 Tbsp as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and grease an 8x8-inch baking dish (adjust number/size of baking dish if altering batch size).
Prepare flax egg in a small bowl and let set for a few minutes to achieve an "eggy" texture. Measure out almond milk and add lemon juice and let curdle for a few minutes. Then add baking soda and stir once more. Set aside.
To a large mixing bowl, add melted butter and sugar and whisk vigorously to combine. Then add applesauce, flax egg, and whisk once more. Next add almond milk mixture and whisk vigorously again to combine.
Next add salt, cornmeal, flour and stir with a spoon until just incorporated. It will look thin and somewhat lumpy. That's what you're going for.
Add batter to prepared dishes and bake for 28-37 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a center comes out clean.
Let rest in the cooking dish for a few minutes before serving. I highly recommend serving these with just a touch of non-dairy butter and maple syrup or honey if not vegan.
Will keep in an airtight container for up to a couple days. Store in the freezer to keep longer. These would go excellent with my 1-Pot Red Lentil Chili.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without additional toppings.
*Recipe heavily adapted/expanded from my Vegan Cornbread for 2.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 9 slices)
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Sodium: 246mg
- Carbohydrates: 30.6g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sugar: 11.6g
- Protein: 2.6g