With an Instant Pot and 40 minutes, you can make perfectly cooked black eyed peas every time! Let us show you how.
About Black Eyed Peas
Black eyed peas have been grown in China and India since pre-historic times. By 1674, they were introduced in the US by enslaved individuals and became an important staple in the South. Since then, eating black eyed peas and greens on New Year’s Day has become a cultural tradition that symbolizes good luck. (source)
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
The Instant Pot is our preferred method for cooking black eyed peas because it’s quick, easy, and yields perfectly tender beans!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Ratio = 1 part black eyed peas : 3 parts water
- Cook Time = 15-17 minutes
- Release = 15 minute natural release, then release any remaining pressure
Did you find this helpful? If so, be sure to check out our Instant Pot Cooking Times Guide for perfectly cooked grains and beans every time!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas (Fast, Perfect, No Soaking!)
- 1 cup black eyed peas
- 3 cups water (or vegetable broth for more flavor)
- Add black eyed peas and water (or vegetable broth) to the Instant Pot and stir to prevent sticking. Pressure cook on high for 15-17 minutes (15 minutes for more firm, 17 for more tender // it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins).
- Once the timer goes off, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid once steam has fully escaped and strain off any excess cooking liquid.
*Total time includes active cook time, release time, and the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up (~8 minutes).