Sweet potatoes and chickpeas are two of my favorite foods, and curry powder is one of my favorite spice blends, so it was only a matter of time before the three collided.
This dish is made entirely on one baking sheet — our favorite kind of dinner. Let’s do this!
This 1-pan meal starts with chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and cabbage, which are added to a baking sheet and drizzled with oil to help them tenderize and crisp.
For flavor, we went with a blend of curry powder, garam masala, fresh ginger, onion, and garlic!
Both curry powder and garam masala are Indian spice blends. However, garam masala (meaning “warm spices”) is more commonly used in Indian cooking, whereas curry powder was a British invention meant to evoke common Indian flavors. Learn more about the history of garam masala here, and try an authentic preparation for garam masala here!
After a short bake in the oven, it’s ready to eat!
We hope you LOVE this recipe! It’s:
Customizable (based on season, veggies, sauces, spices, etc.)
This would make the perfect weeknight meal when you need something hearty and flavorful on the table fast! Our favorite pairing is massaged or steamed kale, lemon juice, and tahini. But we include more sauce recommendations below! It would also be delicious atop grains, such as Brown Rice, White Rice, or Quinoa.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Sheet Pan Meal: Curried Sweet Potato & Chickpeas
VEGGIES + CHICKPEAS
- 1 large sweet potato, skin on, cut into wedges (organic when possible)
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage (or sub cauliflower or other seasonal vegetable)
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp avocado or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp curry powder (or store-bought)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees F (210 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Add sweet potato wedges, cabbage, and chickpeas to the pan. Top only the veggies (not the chickpeas) with the diced onion. Then sprinkle garlic and ginger over the whole pan (including the chickpeas).
- Drizzle with oil, sprinkle on salt, curry powder, and garam masala.
- Use your hands to toss each section (sweet potatoes, cabbage, and chickpeas separately), to fully coat with oil and seasonings. Add more of either as needed.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven, toss chickpeas and cabbage (separately), and flip sweet potatoes to ensure even baking. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are golden brown and tender, cabbage is tender, and chickpeas are golden brown and slightly crispy.
- To serve: Steam kale or massage with lemon juice and olive oil and divide between plates, then top with sweet potatoes, cabbage, and chickpeas. Drizzle on the tahini (or dressing of choice) and serve. Sesame seeds, lemon wedges, or cilantro make nice additional garnishes (all optional).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.