Sometimes we crave dessert but don’t want the sugar rush that comes with it. This healthier apple crisp is the perfect solution — and a delicious way to make use of all the apples this fall.
Made with just 10 ingredients and in 1 bowl, this recipe is a lower sugar, whole grain, gluten-free version of our Best Vegan Apple Crisp. Let me show you how easy it is!
We like to use one sweet and one tart apple to give the filling the perfect flavor balance. The apples are peeled and thinly sliced then tossed with lemon juice for a bit of acidity, coconut sugar and cinnamon for a little extra sweetness, and arrowroot starch to help with thickening.
Next, we use the same bowl to prepare the crumbly oat topping.
Oats, almond flour, and pecans provide the perfect crunchy texture, and coconut sugar adds a lovely, subtle sweetness that pairs perfectly with the spice of cinnamon and touch of salt. Coconut oil pulls everything together, helps things crisp up, and gives it a gorgeous golden-brown crisp.
Into the oven it goes, and soon your kitchen will be infused with the sweet smell of caramelized apples and cinnamon. Swoon!
We hope you LOVE this crisp as much as we do. It’s:
& Incredibly delicious!
Into fruit crisps? Be sure to check out our Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars, Gluten-Free Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp, Grain-Free Berry Crisp, Creamy Pumpkin Pie Bars, Apple Pie Crumble Bars, and PB&J Snack Bars.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Healthified Apple Crisp (1 Bowl!)
- 2 ripe, crisp apples* (1 tart, 1 sweet), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp water
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut sugar (depending on sweetness of apples)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and set out an 8” x 8” baking pan (or something similar).
- To a medium mixing bowl, add sliced apples and top with remaining filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Transfer apple mixture to the baking pan and pour any remaining liquid over the apples.
- Wipe out your mixing bowl and add all topping ingredients. Stir to combine, then use fingers to break down any clumps of sugar. Sprinkle over apples in an even layer.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes (uncovered) or until the filling is bubbly, the apples are very fork tender (especially in the center of the dish), and the topping is a deep golden brown.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving. This crisp is delicious as is, but is elevated with coconut whipped cream or a big scoop of almond or peanut butter for added protein!
- Leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350 degree F (176C) oven until warmed through.
*Recipe adapted from my Best Vegan Apple Crisp.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with the lesser amount of coconut sugar and without optional ingredients.