Quick, before summer turns everyone’s house into a sauna, turn your oven on and make this crisp!
This is the ultimate lazy girl’s crisp. It’s rustic and fuss-free and utilizes fresh OR frozen fruit, whatever you happen to have on hand. It also requires just 8 ingredients total and is entirely vegan and gluten free. Huzzah!
The magic begins by adding your fruit to a buttered baking dish and tossing with a bit of sugar. Because we’re using rhubarb and raspberry – two relatively neutral and tart fruits – I find this step essential. Otherwise the fruit will lack some flavor and that sweetness you’re going for with a crisp.
For the crisp topping, we’re working with oats and nuts! This recipe is adapted from my Nectarine Strawberry Crisp – another must try this summer. Almond meal, crushed pecans and rolled oats make up the base while vegan butter (or olive oil) bring moisture and brown sugar a touch of sweetness.
Into the oven it goes for 45 minutes to 1 hour and it’s ready! Invite friends over immediately and dig in.
This crisp is perfect for summer. It’s
Packed with fruit
Studded with oats
Simple and fuss-free
& Healthy enough for brunch or a late-night dessert
It’s also extremely customizable. If you don’t have pecans, sub walnuts or extra almonds. If you don’t have vegan butter, sub olive oil. And if you can’t get your hands on rhubarb or raspberries, use whatever summer fruit you can get your hands on (blueberries and blackberries would be a lovely combo).
Of course, what would a crisp be without ice cream? Tune back in this weekend for yet another ultra creamy, entirely vegan ice cream recipe that’s going to blow your mind. Cheers!
Vegan Gluten-Free Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 2 1/4 cups raspberries (if using frozen, place in colander and briefly rinse under cold water)
- 2 1/4 cups rhubarb (if using frozen, place in colander and briefly rinse under cold water)
- 2-3 Tbsp cane sugar (or sub sweetener of choice, such as maple syrup or coconut sugar)
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 1/2 cup raw pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 Tbsp cold vegan butter (or sub olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and butter an 8×8 (or similar size) baking dish.
- Add fruit directly to the dish and toss with sugar (1-3 Tbsp depending on preference // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Add crisp ingredients to a mixing bowl and, using your hands or a pastry cutter, mix until all of the butter is evenly distributed. Add to the top of the fruit in an even layer.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is crisp and golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve with dairy-free ice cream or coconut whipped cream.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for several days, though best when fresh.
*Prep/cook time does not include cooling time.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.