It’s berry season! And I can’t think of any better way to celebrate than with a crisp.
Because many of you are gluten-free and some grain-free, I decided to tackle a crisp that was completely grain-free! However, if you have a nut allergy, you can easily substitute oats or even coconut. This is a very flexible recipe that also happens to be insanely delicious.
This recipe is simple, requiring just 10 ingredients and 1 bowl to prepare.
The berries are added directly to a baking dish then topped with maple syrup, arrowroot starch (to help thicken the berry juice), and lemon juice for a bit of brightness and acidity.
Next comes the crisp, which is kept grain-free with a mixture of almond flour, shredded coconut, and chopped pecans. It’s also naturally sweetened with coconut sugar (!!), which keeps this recipe refined-sugar-free!
Just 40-45 minutes in the oven and this beauty is ready to enjoy. It gets crisp and golden brown on top, and the juices from the berries meddle and create a lovely “sauce.” Oh, mama.
I hope you all LOVE this recipe! It’s:
Easy to make
Warm + comforting
Crisp on top
& Entirely delicious
This would make the perfect summertime dessert for dinner parties, BBQs, and celebrations or an easy weeknight treat. It’s delicious on its own, but it would pair perfectly with some Coconut Whipped Cream or Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream.
For more berry/crisp recipes, be sure to check out our Best Ever Vegan Apple Crisp, Gluten-Free Strawberry Nectarine Crisp, Easy Peach Crisp, Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars, and Vegan Berry Pop Tarts!
If you try this crisp, let us know it goes! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Grain-Free Berry Crisp
- 7-8 cups mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or cornstarch or gluten-free flour)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and add fruit directly to a 9×13-inch or similar size dish (I like this one from World Market // adjust number/size of pans if altering batch size). Top with maple syrup, arrowroot, and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, coconut, pecans, coconut sugar, and salt. Stir to combine. Then add coconut oil (or vegan butter) and mix again (with a spoon or your hands) until evenly distributed. Taste a little and see if it’s sweet enough for you. Add either more coconut sugar or a little maple syrup (I added 2 Tbsp (30 ml) more maple syrup // amount as original recipe is written).
- Spread the crisp topping evenly over the fruit. Bake uncovered on the center oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
*Recipe is loosely adapted from my Gluten-Free Nectarine Crisp.