Picture this: It’s morning. Your family is still asleep and you have the kitchen, a pot of coffee, and a good book to yourself.
Your in-laws are here for the holidays, or maybe friends from out of town. You want to impress them! But God forbid they see you pull out a box mix of pancakes (even though we all do in a pinch).
I have just the solution.
These homemade, simple, whole grain vegan pancakes are just what you and your family need.
Good news! They come together in 20 minutes, 1 bowl, completely from scratch! You will be the breakfast hero after all.
These pancakes are wholesome thanks to a mix of rolled oats, whole wheat flour, and spelt flour!
Spelt flour is new to my kitchen but has been around for centuries. It’s an ancient grain that has a slightly nutty, sweet flavor. It’s also easy to digest and higher in protein than whole wheat flour, making it ideal for these pancakes as well as many other baked goods where traditional flours are used.
These cakes are also naturally sweetened with maple syrup, and olive oil keeps them both moist and heart healthy. Hello healthy breakfast.
Beyond being healthy, they also taste amazing! They’re:
& Perfect for the whole family
I figured for the holidays when heavy meals are on the horizon, it’s great to start out the day with something filling but nutritious. A couple of these along with a green smoothie would certainly do the trick!
If you make these pancakes, be sure to let us know! Leave a comment or take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. We love seeing our creations in your kitchens.
Or, Pin it to save for later! I personally love keeping a pancake board for when the mood strikes (you know, Monday, Wednesday, Friday and most Saturdays). Cheers!
Easy Whole Grain Vegan Pancakes
- 1 batch flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 1/2 Tbsp water as original recipe is written // or 1 small egg if not vegan)
- 1 Tbsp olive, avocado, or melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 heaping cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or sub other non-dairy milk with varied results)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup spelt flour*
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats and/or roughly chopped nuts or seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and/or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup blueberries, strawberries or other fruit of choice (fresh or frozen)
- 3 Tbsp dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp chopped nuts (raw or roasted)
- 1/4 cup Berry Compote
- To a large mixing bowl, add flaxseed and water and let set for a minute or two. Then add oil, maple syrup, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. Add almond milk and whisk again until well combined.
- Next add oats, whole wheat flour, and spelt flour and stir until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Let batter rest for 10 minutes while you preheat your cooking surface.
- Preheat electric griddle to medium heat (or about 325 degrees F / 162 C), or a large skillet on the stove stop. You want the surface to be hot but not screaming hot – oil shouldn’t smoke when it makes contact with the surface.
- Lightly grease your griddle with oil of choice and pour 1/4 cup measurements of the batter onto the griddle. There should be 6 pancakes (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). (If your batter looks too thick, thin it with a little more almond milk.) Flip when bubbles appear in the middle and the edges turn slightly dry, being careful not to burn.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes more on the other side and then top with vegan butter or peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, or whatever else you please. Compote would also be delicious.
- Will reheat well the next day in the microwave. Otherwise, freeze cooked pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet and package in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. Reheat in the toaster, oven (at 350 F / 176 C), or microwave (for 30 seconds - 1 minute).
*TIP: To make sure you have your sweetness/ flavor right, do a mini test pancake before the big batch. Just cook 1 Tablespoon-sized pancake, sample, and then adjust as needed!
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with olive oil, fortified almond milk, and without optional ingredients.