I can’t shake the fact that banana bread is still my favorite baked good (probably of all time), even after all these years.
Since creating our 1-Bowl Gluten-Free Banana Bread several years ago, I’ve wanted to perfect an egg-free version. You guys seem to LOVE that recipe, and dare I say this vegan version is even better? I know — bold claim. But so true. Let me show you how it’s done!
This 1 bowl recipe starts with a flax egg and mashed ripe banana — 3 ripe bananas to be exact.
Then it’s naturally sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar, moistened with a small amount of avocado or coconut oil, and gets a boost of healthy fats and protein from almond butter!
For the dry ingredients I stuck with our tried and true Gluten-Free Flour Blend, almond meal, and rolled oats. This combo just seems to work in quick breads.
Walnuts add a nice crunch (and a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids). Plus, they take the aesthetic up a notch.
After about 1 hour in the oven, your house will smell like heaven in a loaf pan. Behold: The Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Bread of my dreams.
We hope you LOVE this bread. It’s:
Tender on the inside
Golden brown on the outside
& So, so delicious
This would make the perfect breakfast on the go, hearty snack, or healthier treat. Banana bread is just versatile like that. Enjoy as is or pair with a bit of almond butter or peanut butter and you’re living the good life.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- 1 batch flax egg* (1 flax egg = 1 Tbsp / 7g flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp /37 ml water)
- 3 medium ripe bananas (3 bananas yield ~1.5 cups or 425 g)
- 1/4 heaping cup unsalted almond butter (or sub other nut or seed butter)
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub organic brown sugar)
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave nectar or coconut nectar)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other dairy-free milk, such as rice or hemp)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 ⅓ cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Prepare flax egg in a large mixing bowl and let rest for 5 minutes. Then add ripe, peeled banana and mash well with a fork. You want it pretty smooth.
- Add almond butter, avocado oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, sea salt, and almond milk and whisk to combine. Add baking powder, almond meal, gluten-free flour blend, and gluten-free oats and stir well to combine. Lastly, add half of the walnuts and stir to combine.
- Pour into the pan and smooth with a spoon. Top with remaining walnuts. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. When done, the loaf should feel firm and be crackly and golden brown on top (see photo). A toothpick or knife should come out clean (or with very few crumbs).
- Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully loosen sides with a knife or pull up on the parchment paper to transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before cutting or it will be tender and tend to crumble. It’s even better the next day!
- Store leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 4-5 days. Slice and freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven until tender and warmed through.
*If not gluten-free, use unbleached all-purpose flour or spelt flour in place of the gluten-free blend.