Banana muffins – perhaps my favorite muffin in all of muffin land (except maybe chocolate chocolate chip on occasion, but don’t tell banana or her feelings may get hurt).
I discovered perhaps the best small batch vegan banana muffin recipe last year when I fiddled around until perfecting my jumbo muffin for 2 recipe. I mean, those things are bomb. As in, exceptional. The only next option was to quadruple the recipe and bring these muffins to the next level with a CRUMB TOPPING. Yeah, I said it.
Muffin enthusiasts know everything is better with a crumb top – it’s fact.
Bring on the crumb topping! Raw sugar, vegan butter, unbleached flour – that’s it! And you have crumbs galore.
These muffins are simple in 2 ways:
1) They require 1 BOWL
2) They require about 30 minutes
BAM. Simple indulgence as its finest.
How do they taste? Amazey-face.
Crumbly on top!
Packed with banana flavor
& Utterly perfect with coffee
It really doesn’t get any better than this.
Make these muffins for breakfast, for snacking, a healthy dessert, treats for your birthday at the office (Do people still do that? Whatever. HELLO PROMOTION.), or keep them all to yourself. Whatever you do, don’t be a fool and ignore these little gems. They couldn’t take the heartbreak.
And if you do make them, Instagram me a photo! I love it when people do that (no seriously, it’s kind of my favorite).
Vegan Banana Crumb Muffins
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal (to make flax eggs)
- 5 Tbsp water (to make flax eggs)
- 4 medium ripe bananas (don’t worry about measurements – it’s forgiving)
- 1/2 heaping cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance // or use coconut oil // melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional // chopped)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 5 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and lightly grease a standard size muffin tin (will make 10-11 muffins as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size)
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing flaxseed meal and water in a large mixing bowl. Let set for 5 minutes.
- To the flax egg, add banana and mash, leaving just a bit of texture.
- Add brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for one minute.
- Stir in vanilla, melted butter and mix.
- Add flour and oats and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Lastly, fold in walnuts (optional).
- Divide batter evenly among 10-11 muffin tins (adjust if altering batch size), filling a generous 3/4 full (I fill mine practically full for aesthetic effect).
- Quickly wipe your mixing bowl and add crumble ingredients. Prepare crumble top by mashing ingredients together with a fork until crumbly like wet sand. Generously top muffins with streusel. You may have leftovers (reserve for future muffins or add to crumbles, pies, quick breads, etc.).
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes, remove from muffin tin and serve warm. Once completely cooled, store in a covered container at room temp for several days. Freeze for longer term storage.
* Nutrition information is a rough estimate.