Say hello to our new favorite salad.
It’s crunchy, fresh, incredibly easy to make, and boasts BIG zesty flavor from our 5-minute Caesar dressing. The recipe was born out of a simple need to put dinner on the table with minimal effort. We had a bunch of random ingredients that got thrown together, and it just totally worked. Hello, next-level vegan caesar salad!
The best part? Just 30(ish) minutes required for this incredibly hearty plant-based entrée or side. Let us show you how it’s done!
Origins of Caesar Salad
It’s thought that the Caesar salad originated in Mexico in the 1920s (source). Who knew?!
Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant, is believed to have created the recipe (by accident) at his restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico. However, Caesar’s brother, Alex, claims that they invented the dish together prior to its success at Caesar’s Restaurant Bar.
The restaurant more commonly credited with its origination still exists today. And the salad is still made with the same original ingredients: romaine, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, egg, and a crouton.
Caesar salad has now spread across the globe and has taken on many modifications. Our version is not traditional but is a plant-based take made with romaine and a similarly garlicky, zingy dressing!
We hope you love this vegan caesar salad! It’s:
& SUPER satisfying!
Enjoy as a side or light entrée (our favorite). Or top with chickpeas for added protein and a more filling meal!
What Goes Well With It?
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Caesar Salad with BBQ Sweet Potato Croutons
- 1 batch BBQ Roasted Sweet Potato Croutons (OR 2 roasted sweet potatoes, baked then chopped)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce hearts (rinsed, dried, roughly chopped // ~10 heaping cups chopped as original recipe is written)
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded or thinly sliced carrots
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain hummus (store-bought or DIY)
- 1 ½ tsp spicy mustard (we used a mix of grainy and spicy // either will work)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp capers (chopped)
- 1-2 tsp caper brining juice
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 healthy pinch each sea salt + pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional // omit if oil-free)
- In the meantime, prepare dressing. To a small mixing bowl, add hummus, spicy mustard, lemon zest + juice, minced capers + brining juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, maple syrup, and olive oil (optional) and stir to combine. If needed, add a little water to thin until pourable and whisk until creamy and smooth (see photo).
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt and pepper to taste, lemon juice for acidity, lemon zest for vibrant citrus flavor, minced garlic for zing, capers for “sea” flavor, maple syrup for sweetness, or mustard for spice.
- Next, prepare remaining ingredients, including the romaine lettuce, parsley, and shredded carrots. Then add all to a serving platter or bowl and top with sweet potatoes and nutritional yeast (optional).
- Add dressing and toss, or serve on the side. This salad stores best when the dressing is kept separate from the greens. Store leftovers separately: The salad will keep 2-3 days, the dressing will keep 4-5 days. Not freezer friendly.