Raise your hand if you A) are from the Midwest, B) have ever been to a church or community potluck, or C) have eaten at your grandmother’s table.
Hand raised on all three.
If you answered yes on any one of these, you’ve likely experienced a 7-layer salad. Say hello to its vegan cousin.
If you’ve never had a 7-layer salad (or layered salad, as some know it), it’s a layering of lettuce, vegetables, cheese, and bacon. The dressing is typically a mixture of mayonnaise (and often sour cream), and sugar. Healthy, right? ; )
My version mimics the traditional version, only it subs carrots for cheese, coconut bacon for bacon, and naturally sweetened vegan mayo dressing for mayonnaise and sugar.
Did I mention that this is a 30-minute, 10-ingredient recipe? Because it totally is.
I hope you all LOVE this modern take on a classic. It’s:
Quick + easy
& Seriously delicious
This would make the ultimate side dish to bring along to parties or group dinners. It would pair especially well with entrées like my 1-Pot Red Lentil Chili, Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich, or Curried Potato and Lentil Soup.
For more salad ideas, check out my Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Creamy Kale Salad with Chickpeas & Shallot, 20-minute Asian Kale Salad, Blissed-Out Thai Salad with Peanut Tempeh, White Bean Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing, or Tahini Kale Salad with Kumquats.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
- 1 cup (145 g) frozen peas
- 1 small head green lettuce, rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped (divided)
- 2 large carrots, shredded or thinly sliced (I used this mandolin with the medium blade attachment)
- 5 green onions (or 1/2 red onion), thinly sliced
- 1 cup (~65 g) Coconut Bacon (or Eggplant Bacon), plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 cups (~250 g) or 1.5 batches Vegan Mayonnaise*
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) maple syrup (or sweetener of choice, i.e. cane sugar), plus more to taste
- Add peas to a small saucepan (in a steamer basket if you have one) with a splash of water and heat over medium-low heat until just thawed and warmed through (but not cooked) - about 2-3 minutes. Then drain off any excess water and transfer to a small bowl. Set aside.
- To a large serving dish (I used this one in white), add chopped lettuce. Then top with celery, peas, tomatoes, shredded carrots, green onions, and coconut or eggplant bacon. Set aside.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add vegan mayo (homemade or store-bought), lemon juice, and maple syrup. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity or maple syrup for sweetness.
- Top the salad with all of the dressing and use a spoon to smooth into an even layer. Optional: top with more coconut bacon and vegetables, such as tomato or green onion.
- You can enjoy this as is or cover and refrigerate up to 4-6 hours. Store leftovers (dressing separate from salad) in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days, though best when fresh. Dressing will keep up to 1 week.